Birding!

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I’m looking at the same birds and chipmunk!
I’m visiting my Dad outside of Baltimore
where are you seeing them?
Central New Jersey - they are pretty widespread across the northeast.
I’m actually seeing a lot more cardinals this year than usual. Usually I only see a handful in a season but they seem to be all over the place.

Reactions: RD.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Central New Jersey - they are pretty widespread across the northeast.
I’m actually seeing a lot more cardinals this year than usual. Usually I only see a handful in a season but they seem to be all over the place.
Gorgeous birds; even their song is flamboyant and in-your-face. I really miss having them in my yard as I did in Ontario. Back there a dozen in the yard during winter was not uncommon.

I've read that they have been expanding their range northwards for decades, and one of the factors motivating this is the use of backyard birdfeeders. Certainly, they were far more common in Ontario's cottage country when I lived there, as opposed to my childhood when I visited the area. Possibly climate change is now further aiding their northwards expansion?

They are very occasionally seen in the city of Winnipeg (a bit more than an hour to the south of me), where a pair is thought to have bred last year, and last summer a single male was seen in a small town that is actually slight north of the my location. I've been here for more than 12 years now, and my feeding operation and clientele of birds has grown the whole time; I would truly love to someday look out the window and see a Cardinal at my feeders. :)

But at least I still have the Blue Jays and Chipmunks...:)

Reactions: RD. and Deadeye

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Just can't imagine cockatoos and rosellas at my bird feeders! Has to be awesome.
the rosellas come first but are pretty timid, next come the king parrots who sit on your head and eat from your hand then the cockatoos turn up and chase them all away. They are cool but not too friendly and won’t let you get too close to them.
In the end these big black birds come and eat the scraps, I don’t know what they are , I will take some pics of them next time I am up there and see if you guys know what they are.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store