Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben268

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2008
Canada PEI/New Brunswick
xtrememarinetanker;2468259; said:
Thats a good point thanks for that I think what we may have to do is bring in a cousltant that deals with alternative energy and see how we can power this thing form a solar stand point at least taking 70% or more off of the grid thanks for the advice it is very helpful
I'm not sure how windy it is in Texas so this might be a TERRIBLE idea but, why not combine wind and solar power? I'm aware solar power is probably better for your location regardless, but they both have their pros and cons. just somthing you might want to look into.

puffcrusader696

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2008
Corning, New York
www.youtube.com
Ben268;2474864; said:
I'm not sure how windy it is in Texas so this might be a TERRIBLE idea but, why not combine wind and solar power? I'm aware solar power is probably better for your location regardless, but they both have their pros and cons. just somthing you might want to look into.
i agree. ive heard that its less windy when its sunny and its less sunny when its windy so they balance eachother out.

Buckdog

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2007
So.Cal. - Inland
It's big, it's crazy and I love it. Post pics when you get underway.

RedDevilDon2005

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2006
Lawrenceburg, In
www.myspace.com
the 2 people i would highly recomend asking questions to is JohnPTC and Arapaimag. both have created ridiculous aquariums, they know what they are talking about. and i hope you get this thing going because it will be sweet.

cassharper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2007
Mansfield, Texas
Ben268;2474864; said:
It's not terrible, just not quite feasible. When I say not quite, North Texas is so close but just not sustainable.

At the OP. What consultants from UTA are you using? I'm a student there, so I might know some people. Shoot me a pm if you need any help, don't forget about the wealth of man power that can be had from here too!

I have been involved with a lot of small scale structural engineering (with salt water ecosystems too), my dad had several large projects (none this large though!), so I'll give you any help I can.

Have you thought about skylights to supplement your lighting? If this is possible, you will be able to work down the electrical needs greatly. Night would be your biggest enemy, and subdued lighting at night would be a good like IMO anyhow.

I agree with john about the gas fired heaters in lieu of attempting to make a cable heater. The long run cost will be much larger with electric.

If you work it out right, filtration will be easier then you think. Granted, it will involve several tons of live rock which would not be cheap. Who knows, maybe you could contract a dive service to harvest it for you! (that was a joke). Skimmers would kill you, but biological filtration could be accomplished (primarily) naturally and the next biggest situation would be water movement. With 10-15 1k-2k gph pumps hooked up to timers for wave movement you would have that taken care of as well.

Worth .02 at most.

Ben268

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2008
Canada PEI/New Brunswick
Yeah, as I mentioned i didn't know how windy it would be there (or anywhere inland for that matter, i've lived on the coast all my life, very windy).

Also, puffer, yeh that's what i had in mind, gernally when the sunlights not quite doing it for ya, the wind could pick up the slack and vice versa.

All in all it's an ambitous idea, and if you actually do pull it off, then comes the fun part of stocking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store