Building a Mega-Home Marine Tank (18,000 GA) Need Advice All Welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkpine

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Akron Oh
Ok first of all the poor guy is trying to figure out cost and the project keeps changing. first of all does it really matter if he pays 100,000 for the glass, or 1,000,000. it is not anyones money but his. let the man talk, if u have something good to say then say it, but if not leave, if he thinks he has the money for it, ( and judging by the fact he has a rough est of cost for each part, i think he does) then let him do it. he is here bouncing ideas of people with "knowledge" some of us have. many people like johnptc know what he is getting into, where as some of the clowns on here prob have a monster 10 gal tank.

greengiant

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2008
British Columbia Canada
when I looked at the calculators I have used for acrylic thickness they recommend 6.5" thick Acrylic. not to doubt JohnPTC but thats what I found. maybe there is something I am missing but just my 2 cents. I am waiting for the renderings you talked about.

coolkeith

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Detroit
....it's not glass, it's acrylic.

I think the biggest problem will be with nailing down the fine details. Details are everything. Sloppiness and rushing things leads to mistakes. What happens if 3" is 3' because of a typo again? Also, this is probably not a good 1st DIY project for a person with no aquarium building experience. Ever here of the saying "Stick to your knitting"?

xtrememarinetanker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2008
Dallas, Texas
From one of the acrylic calculators provided in a excel document format offered here from San Diego Plastics when I put in the dimensions for each panel 108’ x 67.2’ the thickness calculations where 4.530 so I would say that Johnptc was pretty on point.

And coolkeith your point is well taken but just like the old saying goes measure twice cut once and that applies here. Meaning is assured everything has a checkpoint before you proceed. But thanks for the negative criticism again its appreciated.

basslover34

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2007
Montreal
Should this project actually find it's way to completion... I'd have to say that it would be the most impressive of all the mega tank projects even though not the Largest.

I would love to see a picture of the space that this will be placed in as it might help to imagine the shear volume of this project :popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store