Can I keep an amethyst rock or quartz in aquariums

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
So you’re telling me this is safe to put in my aquarium with ten discus?
No, I'm telling you that quartz and amethyst, which is what you inquired about, will not affect your water parameters (unless possibly) there is some other rock on them that you didn't mention in OP). I've never kept discus so cannot comment on them specifically.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
I've had a chunk of druzy amethyst for years, half the time in one tank or another. As mentioned, the sharp corners on the crystals might be an issue to a fish prone to spooking and dashing around the tank, something to consider when placing it if that's the case.

At other times I've had various tumbled stones (besides whatever raw collected stone). These days colorful stones are just as likely to be crushed up for inlay in a platter or wood bowl I'm carving as in a tank.

...Quite a few types of stone do nothing in a tank-- some can affect chemistry in varying degrees. Doesn't hurt to google or ask about specific types-- as already mentioned, quartz and amethyst are inert. Anything I've read says watch out for metal veins in rocks going into your tank-- advice I haven't risked testing.

Last edited:

jacobfata

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2018
I just purchased the use of my local fish store and they told me that they are perfectly safe to put in with my discus. Before I put them in you guys sware to me this is safe LOL?

41FE4E23-0D0D-43D0-B9DC-9CFA7BBAA8D2.jpeg

d033ie

Banned
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2010
Delaware
If you're tank is deep and the fish usually school mid range. You might be fine, honestly i would have something surrounding it like other stones or plants. I wouldn't leave it as an open centerpiece. Hopefully you do as all should, when adding any rock. Give it a good boiling to kill bacteria and such.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
I just purchased the use of my local fish store and they told me that they are perfectly safe to put in with my discus. Before I put them in you guys sware to me this is safe LOL?

View attachment 1374354
I think it will be o.k but to put your mind at rest, do the acid/vinegar test, hose it down with highest pressure possible, pour a few kettles of boiling water over it. Once it's in then tan test the water daily (PH and hardness)for a week or so and remove it if anything changes dramatically. Also keep an eye on the fish and see if they are acting weird. Like I said I reckon you will be fine. I think the reason you don't see it used much as decor is generally people prefer a natural looking discus set up. It's your tank and your personal taste so don't worry just decorate it however you choose.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Lol nobody here will swear anything -- when you have questions about a certain topic in fish keeping, you go do research, get a variety of opinions as you can, then YOU decide for yourself which is best for your situation. Being miles away others will never know all the facts about your cirumstances. Therefore you and you alone are responsible for the decisions you make (and the possible consequences).

Mdoka

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2018
USA
Lol nobody here will swear anything -- when you have questions about a certain topic in fish keeping, you go do research, get a variety of opinions as you can, then YOU decide for yourself which is best for your situation. Being miles away others will never know all the facts about your cirumstances. Therefore you and you alone are responsible for the decisions you make (and the possible consequences).
That’s a darn good post! I swear! Sorry, couldn’t resist. All kidding aside, islandguy11 islandguy11 is right. You decide what’s best after hearing others opinions.

d033ie

Banned
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2010
Delaware
Islandguy11 broke it down really well! I would really like to see what the outcome looks like, since i've never seen that type of setup. A new look is always enjoyable to see, plus it could influence others to consider the same change. To really see those beautiful stones absorb and reflect light, black sand would do it well. Just my opinion only!

Reactions: islandguy11

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Islandguy11 broke it down really well! I would really like to see what the outcome looks like, since i've never seen that type of setup. A new look is always enjoyable to see, plus it could influence others to consider the same change. To really see those beautiful stones absorb and reflect light, black sand would do it well. Just my opinion only!
Exactly what I was thinking, water issues aside I don't think those rocks will show up nicely with the current light colored substrate, with black they'd stand out nicely.

There's also the issue that Duanes pointed out -- unless you take them out to clean them regularly (thereby removing most if not all of the beneficial bacteria on them), they will get coated with slimy bacteria, algae, mulm etc.

Regarding amethyst like pictured, personally I wouldn't put any sharp rocks in my Flowerhorn or Arowana tanks, not worth the possibility they'd get cut or scratched (which can lead to secondary infections if not cared for properly). But from what I understand discus are generally much more laid back fish, so once again, up to OP (who I assume knows discus behavior by now) to decide on that point.

Reactions: d033ie
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store