Decisions made.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Just to clarify, I realize that those fragile plastic monsters need full bottom support. All I meant was that you can use a solid top made of perhaps a couple of stacked pieces of plywood to provide that. You can even have a cross-shaped brace underneath, formed from pieces of 2x4 or even 2x6 attached vertically to the bottom of the lowest sheet in the stack. They would run front to back and side to side, sitting between the columns of concrete at each corner. A construction like that absolutely will not allow any flexing, and that's all that "full support" means.

You could even have the columns set 1.5 or 2 inches inside the perimeter of the top, and then run a another vertical brace all around the outside edge, wrapping around the top of the concrete blocks. This would make it simple to attach curtains (fabric or solid) to the bottom of those braces to hide the structure, but which will still be quick and easy to remove for service, etc.

I know you want to take no chances, but...do some research on this. It will work.

wednesday13 wednesday13 Backfromthedead Backfromthedead Fishman Dave Fishman Dave M M1A1

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Just to clarify, I realize that those fragile plastic monsters need full bottom support. All I meant was that you can use a solid top made of perhaps a couple of stacked pieces of plywood to provide that. You can even have a cross-shaped brace underneath, formed from pieces of 2x4 or even 2x6 attached vertically to the bottom of the lowest sheet in the stack. They would run front to back and side to side, sitting between the columns of concrete at each corner. A construction like that absolutely will not allow any flexing, and that's all that "full support" means.

You could even have the columns set 1.5 or 2 inches inside the perimeter of the top, and then run a another vertical brace all around the outside edge, wrapping around the top of the concrete blocks. This would make it simple to attach curtains (fabric or solid) to the bottom of those braces to hide the structure, but which will still be quick and easy to remove for service, etc.

I know you want to take no chances, but...do some research on this. It will work.

wednesday13 wednesday13 Backfromthedead Backfromthedead Fishman Dave Fishman Dave M M1A1
Since the project completion is several weeks away I'm reviewing all options. In a perfect world I'd like a woodworker make me a basic stand but seems like everyone wants to build furniture type stands. There is a company I plan to contact.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
One thing I've learnt from this thread, and many others started by FINWIN FINWIN , is that if I'm ever planning a complex multi million pound bank raid, then she is by far and away the best person to plan it for me, lol.

She doesn't leave a stone unturned in her approach to anything:clap

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Thanks. For the first time in months I'm getting my groove back in fishkeeping. Was pretty much going through the motions from all the losses but now I'm excited about the upcoming tank and new fishy friends! Because of home expenses I'm probably looking at November. East coast prices for everything are ludicrous. NOBODY WANTS TO BUILD A BASIC STAND. Everything has to be big bulky cabinet stuff they can charge you 2 grand for. One more company to try. So I'll be cheap where I can and spend money where I must.

Sometimes my mind races 100 miles an hour when I'm working through ideas. I even have a new list of names, ha haa. The pineapple plants arrived today. The 'green fern' plant looks nothing like the picture....solid deep green blades with white tips. Who comes up with this stuff? Back to Krylon.

Because I'm not hearing what I like price wise regarding tank stands I'll revise the block layout to SCALE this time. I admit I may have overreacted to the gap space. I might borrow P phreeflow idea of using some 8 inch blocks. I'm reconsidering the layout because of how the 125 is fully supported. It's on a built in tabletop stand and stacked with 3/4" maple on top of that I added. Underneath there's a support frame running the whole perimeter. The bottom is completely open ( I can open the cabinet doors, go underneath and run my hands over the whole tabletop bottom). So this supports jjohnwm jjohnwm saying all those blocks aren't needed. I'll be drafting a rescaled graphic.

Anything to keep him from whining about too many blocks...:nilly:

• Wow
Reactions: jjohnwm

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
You're welcome! :)

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Revised block floorplan to scale. The central "cross" area is open.

View attachment 1549045
I’m with you FINWIN FINWIN and would pretty much stuff the entire bottom of that tank with bricks 🤣

I had major water damage before so i might be a bit paranoid

Thankfully, many of the members have better insight

IMG_0719.jpeg

Reactions: FINWIN

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Almost wish I had enough room to stack some standard metal stands together with a table top. I don't get it...I guess its about money and ego with these buisnesses. You ask for a wood frame stand, they offer a full blown cabinet piece. Maybe a carpenter ? I dunno.

Guess I can't go wrong with this, lol...I ain't spending 2 grand on a stand!

block floor.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: phreeflow
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store