Diatom Filters and the advantage of use

Mattyou

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Jax Fla.
OK, I have noticed there are alot of members that are unaware of the power of a Diatom Filter or even what they are. Here is a brief discription of what they are and what they can do for you.

(portions of this are borrowed from thefishguys.com)

"Aquarium diatom filters are unsurpassed in filtration power and polish your water to perfect clarity using diatomaceous earth - an organic sediment with a unique pore structure that will trap the smallest debris (as small as 1 micron). Aquarium diatom filters promote faster fish healing by removing organics and parasites. Because they are so thorough, diatom filters need frequent cleaning (backflushing is my prefered method). I recommend using them regularly instead of running them continuously, or when you need to tackle a tough particulate problem, algea, or to polish up your water."
I run mine about 2 hours a week per tank and after each water change at a minimum. I have a Vortex XL that has been in use since 1995 and have only had to replace the bag 1 time. Pool Diatomaceous earth can be used but you must be carefull that it is pure with no additives, I just use the Vortex brand (around 10-15 dollars for 5 pounds). I can get a year or more use out of a 5 pound box. Be aware the dust from the diatomaceous earth is a carcinagen (like asbestous) so do not breath the dust.
They work much much better than a Magnum 350 and will make a green water 100+ gallon tank crystal clear in a little over 2 hours. As with all pumped filters, the more even to tank hieght (least amount of head pressure required) the faster it will go. For about $125.00 you can pick one of these units up and I can attest to thier durability. I can also recommend the Vortex brand, as I have used mine for a very long time and when I worked in a pet shop we used the Vortex Freedon Filter (which can be hung on the side of the tank) to do tank cleaning in the display tanks, we would stir up the muck while the filter was running and let it clear it out prior to water changes. This firter was heavily used and abused pretty much every day at the shop and it never gave us trouble.

I hope this helps some of you, and if you get the chance, pick one up and give it a try. To backflush the unit take it out to a garden hose and run the hose through it while shaking it until clean, then recharge with powder and let it do its thing. I can promise you will be suprised how clear it will get your water.

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
thats why im trying to get a hold of one! i really like having crystal clear water and i havent been able to achieve that with any other filter. thanks for the writeup!! :cheers:

Mattyou

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Jax Fla.
You can get a new one off the web for around $100.00, add 5 lbs of Diatom and shipping it may be a little more but still under $150.00. Check "thefishguys.com" or go straight to the Vortex web site. Used ones are hard to find I think. They are a true Old School Filter that still has a value and should not be forgotten.

Mattyou

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Jax Fla.
Poly Filter just isn't the same. It will do a decent job, but it isn't capable of doing what a Diatom can. I've never heard anyone boast about Poly Filter having the ability to remove ick / fish lice / flukes etc. If you cant spend the money its a viable alternative, but for me, I go Diatom.[FONT=arial, helvetica][/FONT]

TheFanatic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2008
St. Louis
www.grillinfool.com
I don't have to worry about those things in my tank as I do frequent water changes. They may be still present, but they are not doing any damage as my fish are very healthy and well fed and in great water. The Poly Filter makes that water crystal clear and remains that way for weeks. How long does a tank stay that way after a Diatom treatment? I don't want to have to break out the diatom every few days when Water changes and poly do me just fine....

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
i recently threw in some poly filter in my sump. while it did make a difference, its not crystal clear. what im talking about is crystal clear like the way a tank looks the first day you fill it up. its hard to keep your water looking like that on an established tank.

if a diatom filter can do that, i dont mind using it once a week after i do my 50% water changes.

AttackFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2007
Torrance
I have a Diatom filter.
Its not functioning as of now.
i need to buy/make new intake and outtake tubes.

wckdkl0wn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
jcardona1;1837324; said:
i recently threw in some poly filter in my sump. while it did make a difference, its not crystal clear. what im talking about is crystal clear like the way a tank looks the first day you fill it up. its hard to keep your water looking like that on an established tank.

if a diatom filter can do that, i dont mind using it once a week after i do my 50% water changes.
A diatom will do that. What I am going to do is get 2 filters for my 125 gallon 1 diatom and 1 xp3. When I do water changes I will add diatom powder to the diatom filter and let it run. Then when the water is clear again I will take the filter out of it and clean the diatom out of the filter. Then put the filter back in and run it like normal. Trust me, you wont be disappointed with a diatom filter.

We ran a magnum filter(i think the 350) years back that was able to take the diatom powder. Just if you use diatom powder mix the powder in a 5 gallon bucket first. and put your filter on the bucket and have it run until the water is clear. Then add it to your tank. The filter not the water.

It will clear a cloudy tank in less then an hour. depending on the size of the tank though. My fathers 75 gallon turned green on him for some reason and we added it. hour later it was crystal clear.

My father has had that pump for 10 years give or take a year and he swears by it. Wont use anything else.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store