Diatom Filters and the advantage of use

madsklz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2008
Saint Louis
I have a diatom and do not run it constantly. I normally run it once a month to go along with my other filters. The diatom is just stupid good water filter. I had a tank with Oscars in it, that I fed the wrong food and within 4 days the water was so green, you could not see from the front to the back of the tank. I bought a diatom, and within 3 hours the water was CRYSTAL CLEAR.

I would highly recommend a diatom for use as a once a month filter/polisher

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
I have 2 of the diatom xl.Ill run it on a tank for a few hours then go to the next one.Must have tool if you got a lot of tanks.

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
Anybody use the System 1 diatom filter? i have the opportunity to purchase one and it seems a lot easier to use than the vortex filters. no hoses, no priming, just drop the powder in the jar and turn it on.

thoughts?

AttackFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2007
Torrance
I have an old school Diatom.
When they were still getting patents for diatome filters.
It runs though.

Anyone know were to get intake/outtake tubes for them?

i have everything but those, I have have diatomaciouse(sp?) earth.

Mattyou

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Jax Fla.
Sic_Maggot13;1838606; said:
will it get small particals out like tiny bits of foam from the filter? its driving me crazy. or is there a better method?
It should as long as the foam isn't just on the surface.

Attackfish: try this link, or you could always try to DIY with flexible hose and hose clamps. http://www.diatomfilters.com/

jcardona1: I have seen the System 1 in use at pet shops, and it seems convienient as you said, no personal experience with the way they perform / longevity of components though. Also I am not sure of the tank volume they are capable of handling. Depending on total price asked to include shipping it may be worth a shot. Best of luck.

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
The motor on the D1 filters are HORRIBLE. My motor is not working at all so I need a new one. It may be better to get some less than 1 micron screen, put it in a different filter with some diatom sand and run it.

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
Could also hook up a whole house filter with a 5 micron cartridge to your filter output or add another pump like the quiet one pumps which would last a lot longer than the Vortex crap.

AttackFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2007
Torrance
Mattyou;1839319; said:
It should as long as the foam isn't just on the surface.

Attackfish: try this link, or you could always try to DIY with flexible hose and hose clamps. http://www.diatomfilters.com/

jcardona1: I have seen the System 1 in use at pet shops, and it seems convienient as you said, no personal experience with the way they perform / longevity of components though. Also I am not sure of the tank volume they are capable of handling. Depending on total price asked to include shipping it may be worth a shot. Best of luck.

Thanks for the link!
I had some tubing lying around from a gravel vac I made but it just wasnt very flexible.
That link really helped.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store