Diatom Filters and the advantage of use

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
Not hard to clean.You dont have to take it apart every time,you backwash it like a swimming pool filter.hook a hose up to the outflow side and turn it on.
The xl is the same size hose as a standard python hose,you can hook it directly on and backwash after filling your tanks.I hook a gravel vac to the intake and powerwash the gravel after a waterchange.

Mattyou

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Jax Fla.
thomast77;2104409; said:
No it is not carcinogenic. But you should wear a face mask as it is still not good to breath in diatom powder.
:OMG:

Dood a little reading is all it takes to give advice on safety.

"Safety considerations
The absorbent qualities of diatomite can result in a significant drying of the hands, if handled without gloves. The saltwater (industrial) form contains a highly crystalline form of silica, resulting in sharp edges. The sharpness of this version of the material makes it dangerous to breathe and a dust mask is recommended when working with it.
The type of hazard posed by inhalation depends on the form of the silica. Crystalline silica poses a serious inhalation hazard because it can cause silicosis. Amorphous silica can cause dusty lungs, but does not carry the same degree of risk as crystalline silica. Food-grade diatomite generally contains very low percentages of crystalline silica. Diatomite produced for pool filters is treated with heat, causing the formerly amorphous silicon dioxide to assume its crystalline form.
In the US, the crystalline silica content in the dusts is regulated by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), and there are guidelines for the maximum amounts allowable in the product and in the air near the breathing zone of workers."

All of the packages of Diatom I get ALWAYS have a stament on them about the dangers of the dust.

thomast77

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2008
Florida
Mattyou;2168358; said:
:OMG:

Dood a little reading is all it takes to give advice on safety.

"Safety considerations
The absorbent qualities of diatomite can result in a significant drying of the hands, if handled without gloves. The saltwater (industrial) form contains a highly crystalline form of silica, resulting in sharp edges. The sharpness of this version of the material makes it dangerous to breathe and a dust mask is recommended when working with it.
The type of hazard posed by inhalation depends on the form of the silica. Crystalline silica poses a serious inhalation hazard because it can cause silicosis. Amorphous silica can cause dusty lungs, but does not carry the same degree of risk as crystalline silica. Food-grade diatomite generally contains very low percentages of crystalline silica. Diatomite produced for pool filters is treated with heat, causing the formerly amorphous silicon dioxide to assume its crystalline form.
In the US, the crystalline silica content in the dusts is regulated by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), and there are guidelines for the maximum amounts allowable in the product and in the air near the breathing zone of workers."

All of the packages of Diatom I get ALWAYS have a stament on them about the dangers of the dust.

DooD you totally just agreed with me LoLoLoL :screwy:

You said nothing about it being carcinogenic because it isn't. I mentioned in my post that Diatomaceous earth is dangerous to breath, I said you should wear a face mask. I was just clearing up the falsehood that Diatom powder is carcinogenic. I will say it again, Diatom Powder is not carcinogenic.

Aeroxide

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2009
Chicago
If the filter is only run only occasionally, isn't there a risk of the bacteria inside going anaerobic and pumping poisonous water into the tank when it gets turned back on?

Knowdafish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Philippines
Aeroxide;3519308; said:
If the filter is only run only occasionally, isn't there a risk of the bacteria inside going anaerobic and pumping poisonous water into the tank when it gets turned back on?
You clean and recharge it after use! You don't let it sit not running full of muck. With the proper maintenance there is no risk of anaerobic bacteria. It takes a whole 5 minutes to clean and recharge one and diatomaceous earth is dirt cheap per charge.

bomber

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2007
the Office living in the now...
Its on my X-mas list.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store