Diatom Filters and the advantage of use

Mattyou

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Jax Fla.
Jgray152;1839448; said:
Could also hook up a whole house filter with a 5 micron cartridge to your filter output or add another pump like the quiet one pumps which would last a lot longer than the Vortex crap.
My Vortex is well over 10 years old, I just add a few drops of oil before every use and have never had a problems with the motor. As a matter of fact, mine was knocked into a saltwater tank while running by my then 5 year old daughter, that was in 1997-1998 I think and even after that I have had no problems with it. It was in the tank for a few minutes too while she tried to decide if she should get me or run away from home.

C2112

Feeder Fish
Dec 2, 2007
Long Island, NY USA
The diatom filter truly is amazing. I have a Vortex right now. It works great but is not as user friendly as the one I used 13 years ago. Back then I had a Whisper Diatomagic. It was a hang on back type of filter. It was very easy to use and worked amazingly well. Unfortunately, i got out of the hobby and got rid of it. Now they are not sold. I highly recommend diatom filters.

redpsycho78

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2008
florida
I PLAN ON BUILDING A LARGE POND SOON AND WAS THINKING BOUT DIATOM WHY SHOULDNT U RUN DIATOM ALL THE TIME

wckdkl0wn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
redpsycho78;1840306; said:
I PLAN ON BUILDING A LARGE POND SOON AND WAS THINKING BOUT DIATOM WHY SHOULDNT U RUN DIATOM ALL THE TIME

I honestly dont know the answer to that one. We used to run ours all the time as a main filter and never had a problem. Then we started running just diatom for a short while until the water was clear then take it off. I only have experience with an older filter so I dont know if you can or not with the newer ones.

Mattyou

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Jax Fla.
You can run it non-stop. I just don't because I use it for maintenance only. The literature on them states running non-stop is fine. I leave mine on at night sometimes on my bigger tanks. I think the main thing is keeping it oiled if you use it non-stop, and checking output pressure as the bag gets dirty.

ahkiu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2006
uk
am i right in thinking that the "powder" used in these filters have a similar quality to asbestos? That is, it's carcinogenic if breathed in.

thomast77

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2008
Florida
ahkiu;1843111; said:
am i right in thinking that the "powder" used in these filters have a similar quality to asbestos? That is, it's carcinogenic if breathed in.
No it is not carcinogenic. But you should wear a face mask as it is still not good to breath in diatom powder.

terrors r us

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
Edmonton,Canada
jcardona1;1837324; said:
i recently threw in some poly filter in my sump. while it did make a difference, its not crystal clear. what im talking about is crystal clear like the way a tank looks the first day you fill it up. its hard to keep your water looking like that on an established tank.

if a diatom filter can do that, i dont mind using it once a week after i do my 50% water changes.
I have always been under the impression that a diatom filter should be
only used periodically because it is so good that it also removes benifical
elements from your tank.........

RedTailKinG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2008
QUEENS NYC
I use one it does 350 gallons an hr and it is well worth the cash but it is rvery hard to clean

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store