DIY wet/dry completed

"It looks like not a alot of water is going thru the socks. It probably won't hurt anything since you have the mat over the drip plate but, is there anything you can do to get more water to flow thru them? "

I bet the side of the socks may be pressing against the walls of the pvc pipes cutting down on the flow through them. If you took the 4" pvc pipes and drilled a ton of holes in them it would probably help the water flow through them greatly.

LowCel

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2006
Charleston, WV
I cut really big chunks out of them. I wasn't really able to drill holes, every time I tried the pvc ended up cracking. You are probably right though.

LowCel

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2006
Charleston, WV
Just did a little tinkering with the sump. Putting the spraybars lengthwise helped quite a bit with spreading the water more evenly to the scrubbies. I also added an additional powerhead. I'll remove both of them after I put the new pump and UV sterilizer in. When I do that I will run that line to the spraybars.

greengiant

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2008
British Columbia Canada
it may not be possible but with your filter socks submersed it will restrict flow a bit as well so if they can be raised out of the water some they will flow more efficiently. if all your water is running down at one end of the bio chamber and not going across the drip tray naturally then maybe then maybe you have to many or to big of holes in the pegboard? really nice looking sump though and it is well thought out. maybe I'm wrong but just throwing my ideas out there.

LowCel

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2006
Charleston, WV
You are right, unfortunately I don't really have a way to lower the first baffle so that more of the sock would be out of the water more. If / when I do my next tank I will make a few changes. However, there is a good chance I will just go with three fx5's next time. It will be much easier and cheaper. Will take a lot less time as well.

LowCel

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2006
Charleston, WV
JAFRIAS;2998046; said:
nice,but do your bag have enough room to filter an not just from the bottom
I hope so, I have cut out about as much of the 4" pvc as possible. I currently have the socks removed. I need to throw them in the washer. I also need to order some extras the next time I place an order for some other goodies.

bleublaze55

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2009
Orange County
This is actually a pretty well thought out idea. I think that if you do this next time it would be even better and probably more efficient then 3 Fx5s.
Im pretty new to the DIY sump threads, what are the scrubbies for? Im assuming bio media and a way to clean the water?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store