Five 2.5'-3' nigers and three 10"-18" granulosus in 4500 gal

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
The remaining duo has been well, the 30 year old Gil / Gillian and the 6 years old supposed male, both are around 3.5'-4'.

11:55-12:45 min

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
This seems to be the only thread on a forum that mentions Pterodoras granulosus typical YOY growth. Are they that uncommonly kept? can't wait for mine to get some size.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
It seems they are rather rarely kept or at least very rarely reported on. They are not fast growing like Oxydoras niger are. The females will outpace the males by 2x-3x, something to keep in mind as well.

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
It seems they are rather rarely kept or at least very rarely reported on. They are not fast growing like Oxydoras niger are. The females will outpace the males by 2x-3x, something to keep in mind as well.
I’ve now got an 8x4 intex pool in my garage for my fish that outgrow my displays.
Do you think the liner can withstand these guys armor?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Vinyl liner is pretty weak in general and it holds up better in a round pool, I have seen people keeping fish with huge sharp spines in round above ground pool with vinyl liner, such as TSN, RTC, bass, pbass, etc, so at least temporarily it can be done, or with some patch work as needed. I've no experience with vinyl liners. I think it can be tried but I'd have rubber liner on hand in case I needed to throw it in the pool.

The best pools are hard wall PE, like water storage tanks etc. Can score them on Craigslist etc. second hand for cheap.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I've just noticed this morning that one of our adult marbled pim catfish Leiarius marmoratus tried clumsily to do the same thing to a niger catfish, kind of ride on the niger's side. So there must be something more behind this than a fluke. Maybe this is the closest the catfish can find in our tank to a driftwood?

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Your Niger’s have taken the very best spot in the whole tank for resting and the big lumps are just not moving away from that spot in direct flow of oxygenated water returning.
The pims try to move them by squeezing between them and gentle pushes/nudges whereas the rtc/tsn cross is trying to harass the big one by whispering her head.
Only my view but I would be surprised to find the same thing happening in the diagonally opposite corner of the tank.

• Love
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store