Flow Rate Question

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Which diagram is corect ? How much flow could a 1.5 inch emergency drain take on ?
Screenshot_2016-03-11-16-34-09.png GPHpipe.png

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
http://www.beananimal.com/articles/hydraulics-for-the-aquarist.aspx

That's a link to a calculator beanimal has for full siphon drain rates.

For E-Drain, where there's turbulence, that's harder to answer. I'd say the top chart you posted won't work for you because it says "note: This is through an orifice, not a pipe".

so the second chart is probably what you're looking at. 2800 GPH, maybe a little more. Lots of guys here have 1.5 inch drains, somebody oughta be able to give us some "real world".

Of course, we know JC1119 ran a pair of Quiet One 6000's, and his 1.5 inch E-Drains could drain the output of 2 of those. That's 1600 GPH, 2 pumps is 3200 GPH, and he had 2 drains. Not sure about the head height, so 1400 GPH sounds about right.

Reactions: gmaniac

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
http://www.beananimal.com/articles/hydraulics-for-the-aquarist.aspx

That's a link to a calculator beanimal has for full siphon drain rates.

For E-Drain, where there's turbulence, that's harder to answer. I'd say the top chart you posted won't work for you because it says "note: This is through an orifice, not a pipe".

so the second chart is probably what you're looking at. 2800 GPH, maybe a little more. Lots of guys here have 1.5 inch drains, somebody oughta be able to give us some "real world".

Of course, we know JC1119 ran a pair of Quiet One 6000's, and his 1.5 inch E-Drains could drain the output of 2 of those. That's 1600 GPH, 2 pumps is 3200 GPH, and he had 2 drains. Not sure about the head height, so 1400 GPH sounds about right.
Thx man lol was just reading up on jc's build for the 100th time

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Anyone using 1.5 inch E drains please chime in

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
There are so many factors that weigh into actual flow rate, even though I use the book "Aquatic Systems Engineering" by Escobal, I believe its a crapp shoot.
You need to factor in head height, if venturi's are used a 20% drop, and every bend, and the degree of each bend to be accurate, the math is beyond my comprehension.
That said, I use almost exclusively 1.5" drains with 2000+ gallon pumps and just throttle pumps back when necessary. Or run a Tee back to some fluidized bed reactor in the sump to compensate, which also creates more oxygenation for BB.
The venturi valve in use below creates a 20% drop in pump pressure, and flow (in theory),
but I find this changes moment to moment with environmental factors.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Thx duanes. Im guessing if i run the pumps (x2) at 1400 gph and 2x 1.5 inch emergancy drains they should handle the flow incase the main siphon drains get clogged and have an issue.

Last month i was away and the unthinkable happened. Im guessing one of my kids was messing around near the tank and knocked out the u tube from the eshopps overflow caused the tank to flood thank god it was in the garage but lesson learned.
Wanna make sure the new tank it as fool proof as possible.

There are so many factors that weigh into actual flow rate, even though I use the book "Aquatic Systems Engineering" by Escobal, I believe its a crapp shoot.
You need to factor in head height, if venturi's are used a 20% drop, and every bend, and the degree of each bend to be accurate, the math is beyond my comprehension.
That said, I use almost exclusively 1.5" drains with 2000+ gallon pumps and just throttle pumps back when necessary. Or run a Tee back to some fluidized bed reactor in the sump to compensate, which also creates more oxygenation for BB.
The venturi valve in use below creates a 20% drop in pump pressure, and flow (in theory),
but I find this changes moment to moment with environmental factors.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I am using the H2Overflows and they are 1.5" non siphon drains, so I would think it would be rated the same as your 1.5" emergency drains. Anyway, they are rated for 1,200gph drain flow, which is also what I've seen 1.5" overflow pipes rated for on several charts. I used three of these because I wanted to run about 1,500gph of flow, and be able to handle the full flow even if one of the overflows became blocked.

Reactions: jaws7777

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Another consideration is adding a strainer to the main drain. It may slow flow a bit, but preventing larger objects getting stuck is big plus and I personally can live with that. Another consideration is if you have enough height above the second drain, it could begin to have a stronger flow if water should rise AND you have the room. I use Herbie, but I also have a third dry e-drain too. Just things to consider aside from large pipes and flow.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Yea, I have strainers on top of my 2 siphon drains. Don't want something clogging up my gate valve, that'd be a pain to get out and unclog. gotta have it.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Another consideration is adding a strainer to the main drain. It may slow flow a bit, but preventing larger objects getting stuck is big plus and I personally can live with that. Another consideration is if you have enough height above the second drain, it could begin to have a stronger flow if water should rise AND you have the room. I use Herbie, but I also have a third dry e-drain too. Just things to consider aside from large pipes and flow.
Yea, I have strainers on top of my 2 siphon drains. Don't want something clogging up my gate valve, that'd be a pain to get out and unclog. gotta have it.

Aaaaand this is why you guys will be helpig with the build once the tank arrives.

Its gonna herbie

Will def add the strainers on the syphon drain

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store