Flow Rate Question

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Midwest Bulkheads are very high quality, nice looking black ones, sized right for the holes. they're slip, not threaded, so you'll have to glue 'em. If you don't glue the standpipes in your overflow box, that's no a big problem if you ever want to move the tank. you'll only have pipe glued into one side of the bulkhead.

I purposely keep snails outta my tank for the reasons duanes mentions. Once I got snails in this tank, or the sump, they'd be there forever. Never get 'em all out. Plants won't work in my tank, either. So my strainers stay pretty clean. They slime up after 2-3 weeks, I can tell when the drains start to make noise.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Midwest Bulkheads are very high quality, nice looking black ones, sized right for the holes. they're slip, not threaded, so you'll have to glue 'em. If you don't glue the standpipes in your overflow box, that's no a big problem if you ever want to move the tank. you'll only have pipe glued into one side of the bulkhead.

I purposely keep snails outta my tank for the reasons duanes mentions. Once I got snails in this tank, or the sump, they'd be there forever. Never get 'em all out. Plants won't work in my tank, either. So my strainers stay pretty clean. They slime up after 2-3 weeks, I can tell when the drains start to make noise.
I guess the slip isnt a big deal can just add unions on the sump side

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Not a huge deal, but I'll only buy threaded ones next time.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree, threaded unions are the way to go. But you can glue a piece of PVC into the bulkhead and put a threaded fitting on that, and then a dd a union to make it more user friendly.
I usually put a union on both sides even if the the bulk head is threaded, because bulkheads get pretty mineral crusted in in my water, and I'd rather torque out a union than mess with a bulkhead, that might start leaking being futzed with.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store