Flow Rate Question

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
Kinda going off on a tangent, but ragin_cajun ragin_cajun made me think of it. I went with a ball valve on my main drain. I regret not going with a gate valve. Just throwing that out there while I'm thinking about it.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Im basically gonna copy his sump
Kinda going off on a tangent, but ragin_cajun ragin_cajun made me think of it. I went with a ball valve on my main drain. I regret not going with a gate valve. Just throwing that out there while I'm thinking about it.

DN328

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Oh, if we want to get into plumbing details now we can do that too ;-)

I was just assuming this was just prepping before you had the tank and gear. But yes, gate valve all the way on the primary. I also have ball valve on the second drain in case I need to do any maintenance, which has been zero in two years. No valve on the third. Use as many true unions "where it makes sense to", you will be happy you did. I like bulkheads from BRS.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I bought plenty of supplies from BRS, I think I got my black pipe and fittings inside the display from them. But, for bulkheads, and strainers, I really like glass-holes.com -- dope aquarium stuff. :)

I used bulkheads with slip fittings, I wouldn't do that again. Use a threaded bulkhead fitting whenever you can.

As DN328 said, use unions wherever possible. Also, instead of beating yourself up running PVC pipe and getting it to align just perfectly, get a couple of "pvc compression repair coupling". You just run 2 pieces of pipe close to each other, screw this thing on--done. It's a union, it's awesome, all kinds of adjustable. Love it. They can even hold pressure, which is way overkill for a drain line on a fish tank--it'll never leak.

Also, I went with a 4 inch gate valve, figuring I have 2 inch drains--that was WAAAAYYY too big. I could have done both 2 inch drains into a 3 inch gate valve easy.

Reactions: DN328

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Wow ragin, 4" gate valves, that IS big ;-)
Stupid big. Not even close to necessary. I figured I didn't want anything reducing the 2 inch drains at all in any way, and I sure didn't want to go too small and have to tear out the pipe and re-run it.....so I ended up with a stupid big 4 inch gate. And 4 inch PVC T's with 4"X2" reducing bushings, too.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Keep going lol

Yup i took the advice you guys gave with the other "practice" sumps and soo glad i installed unions. Had to tear the tanks down multiple times since then

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Should i use the bulkheads that midwest customs is supplying or buy my own ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store