Geophagus Altifrons tankmates

Lilyann

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
I have found heckelii do not do well in hard water.They seem fine up to around the 4 inch mark.
Eventually they become very prone to bacterial infections. I have witnessed this first hand. I have also heard it said by other hobbyists.
I also found they can become aggressive and this was in a 210 gallon.
Have you considered a group of biotadoma cupido?
They also do well in groups are peaceful and won't out grow your tank.
I looked the biotadoma cupido up, they look much like larger Geophagus (but smaller) and it looks like the only Geo I will able to keep due to my size tank.Im sure I will be very happy with them. How many should I get for my tank? What other fish would you suggest I have with them?
My Ph runs around 7.8-7.9. Will this work for them? I will make water changes 2x weekly at 75% when I do my discus tank.
I also ordered New Life Spectrum Cichlid Pellet, Thera +A, and AlgaeMax ( I thought I would mix them all together. Also going to make them a homemade cichlid (frozen) food that I found online: Is this recipe good?
  • 1 Pound Whole Prawns
  • 1/2 Pound Catfish Fillets
  • 1/2 Pound Frozen Shelled Peas
  • 4.5oz (50sheets) Nori Seaweed
  • Juice & Pulp of Medium Orange
  • 1 Clove Garlic
  • 2 Teaspoons Spirulina Powder
  • 1/2oz Food Grade Agar Agar

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I saw someone mention hard water, I'm not sure if this is Lilyann's case, but if it is, you may want to re-evaluate what to keep.
The red hump (steindachner clade) are what i would consider a hard water Geo, although the aggressiveness may be an issue.
Or another route to go "if" hard water is the case, would be the Gymnogeophagus of Uruguay. Mine did very well in my pH almost 8 water, with high conductivity.
They do need cooler water, and even a cooler drop in winter though (no heaters required).
But Gymnogeophagus would do nicely as a group in a 150 with 2 males, and 4 or 5 females.
There are also plenty of tetras and cory's from that area that prefer cool conditions
Gymnogeophagus quilero (AKA yerbalito.

Gymno sp "Paso Pache"

Gymno balzani, with Corydorus erhardti

and a Uruguayan community tank with pikes, and Ausraloheros red cabal also from Uruguay

Last edited:
Reactions: tlindsey

Lilyann

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
I will read up on these you have listed. Does the Biotadoma cupidito also need soft water. Mine runs 7.8-7.9 ph.
Never-mind, I looked the Biotadoma cupidito species, also wont work for my ph, its time I look for another species of fish, thanks for everyone's help/

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Never-mind, I looked the Biotadoma cupidito species, also wont work for my ph, its time I look for another species of fish, thanks for everyone's help/
Some cichlids will adapt better to hard water than others. Heckelii in my experience is not one of them.
My Dad used to keep biotadoma in hard water without any issues. He used to add lots if leaf litter to create tannins in the water and they did fine. If you kept discus ok I wouldn't worry too much.
I think you should take a look at Central American eartheaters. They are very similar to geophagus but will thrive in your water.
Take a look at thorichthys, Astathoheros or Cribroheros. Central America has some ideal sized colourful eartheaters that would live happily for life in your set up.

I also agree with Duanes. The cichlids from Uruguay would also be a good choice.

Reactions: Lilyann

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
I agree that tailoring the cichlids to your tap water is very important.
Trying to keep soft water cichlids in hard water often ends up with HITH scarred individuals, and very non-satisfying aquarium experience.
There are even rift lake African equivalents to Geophagus like Fossorochromis and Taeniolethrinops
Here are some of the Central American hard water equivalents to Geophagus I have kept. They prefer to live in loose shoals, would do well in 150 gal tanks much like Geophagines, and have done well in my relatively high pH high conductivity water.
Cribroheros rostratum

C. robertsoni

C longinmanus

the rostratum were my favorites

Lilyann

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
Some cichlids will adapt better to hard water than others. Heckelii in my experience is not one of them.
My Dad used to keep biotadoma in hard water without any issues. He used to add lots if leaf litter to create tannins in the water and they did fine. If you kept discus ok I wouldn't worry too much.
I think you should take a look at Central American eartheaters. They are very similar to geophagus but will thrive in your water.
Take a look at thorichthys, Astathoheros or Cribroheros. Central America has some ideal sized colourful eartheaters that would live happily for life in your set up.

I also agree with Duanes. The cichlids from Uruguay would also be a good choice.
Thank you Stan, I have raised discus ( not wilds, but I do have a pair of F1 Alenquer's who have paired up and spawned several times in the last couple months) for many years. Highly doubt the water would be correct for eggs to hatch, but not certain as they are eaten in presence of other discus in tank. But, like I said, not interested in raising fry. I will take a look at these others you list. The biotadoma I have already looked at and are high on my list, now that you say it is possible. I do have lots of wood and catalpa leaves in with my discus, it seems to help. :)
I agree that tailoring the cichlids to your tap water is very important.
Trying to keep soft water cichlids in hard water often ends up with HITH scarred individuals, and very non-satisfying aquarium experience.
There are even rift lake African equivalents to Geophagus like Fossorochromis and Taeniolethrinops
Here are some of the Central American hard water equivalents to Geophagus I have kept. They prefer to live in loose shoals, would do well in 150 gal tanks much like Geophagines, and have done well in my relatively high pH high conductivity water.
Cribroheros rostratum

C. robertsoni

C longinmanus

the rostratum were my favorites
Its funny that you mention the African cichlids, I was thinking that maybe I needed to look at these, but when I did yesterday I got really overwhelmed, there are so many of them! ! And so many in one tank, didn't really like the look of it. I'm sure their are larger species in that group as well, that would like a little more room. Thank you, I will look up these Central American species that you list. :)

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Many people cram tons of Africans together, especially mbuna.
The two I mentioned are not mbuna type that you would cram together like typical rift lake Africans, they live over sand substrate in shoals.
I grew a group of 6 Fossorochromis together in a 150 gal, 2 males hit about 12", females 8-10". The dominant male killed his brother, then paired up with one female, and I removed the rest.
After spawning she would cram 50 to 60 x 2" young in her mouth, a fascinating sight.
When startled they can dive into sand substrate and totally disappear, even though the males was a bright purple/blue .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store