Green Terror in 55-Gallon

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
View attachment 1528885
And this snake had no business trying to eat this gator but it still did and died trying. Even though we know or at least *think* an animal won’t or can’t eat another one doesn’t mean it won’t at least *try*. The bichir could just snap at it repeatedly until it dies from exhaustion or diseases brought on by the stress of the repeated attacks.
Very good point
True, but I'm not interested much in schooling fish like tetras unless they are larger like silver dollars, and those long term are too large for my tank so...

Are there any schooling cichlids that would work? I know firemouths don't work and although I like EBA, I was scared out of them lol.

Is it really true that Firemouths have to be kept in schools? All firemouths I've seen were single in their tanks and I've never heard of firemouths being kept in schools in any article or research I've done.
Most people simply don’t keep them properly, it’s still best to get a group. Most cichlids aren’t really schooling, it’s just ones that tolerate others better than others.

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Ok how does this sound?

1 Striped Raphael Catfish, 1 Pictus Catfish, 1 Platinum Senegal Bichir, and 3-6 Peacocks or Smaller haps.

if that one doesn't sound good...

1 Striped Raphael, 1 Pictus, 1 Platinum Senegal Bichir, 1 Convict, and 1 Electric Blue Jack Dempsey.

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Either option is pretty heavy bioload. What type of filtration do you have?
Option 1 sounds better to me, maybe 3-4 Peacocks.
I have two Fluval HOB filters, and have a UV filter ready to go.

Americancichlidsaredabest

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2022
If you do go with the peacocks I would not get live plants as I've heard that African peacocks would just munch those right up. My vote goes to the convict,EBJD, raph, and bichir minus the pictus as those like to be in groups.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
If you do go with the peacocks I would not get live plants as I've heard that African peacocks would just munch those right up. My vote goes to the convict,EBJD, raph, and bichir minus the pictus as those like to be in groups.
I already have the Pictus, and he is alone and it will stay that way. I agree with you though on the SA cichlids rather than the peacocks.

I do like peacocks, but they aren't my top favorites, I prefer SA cichlids (no offense to anyone).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store