Hikari vs. NLS

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Most are ignorant or get bad info from bad or uninformed sources.
You mean like those who suggest that feeding dry pellets causes bloat?

There must be an awful lot of very lucky lemmings out there........

riftvalleyman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2011
San Antonio, TX
pellets dont CAUSE bloat...poor water conditions, stress, and low immune system are the causes. Pellets CAN cause gastric blockages...which causes stress...and so on.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Any food stuff with poor digestibilty can cause blockages. (such as pellets that are heavy in grains/starch) That's not exactly earth shattering news.

Or did you reckon none of us lemmings here knew that?

riftvalleyman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2011
San Antonio, TX
LOL-

Oh RD....you are the self-proclaimed, "intellectual" in the bunch with the piss poor attitude.

The pseudo-intellectual trite retorts are banal. I know the type, I am not phased.

Sarcasm is the lowest form of humor.
Your point was made on my typo of saying "can" before what I had typed earlier.

Your masterful 1597 posts make you an Aquatic Biologist?
Give it a rest....I can do without the quips.

I was just trying to help.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Let's just put it this way, you're not only the one around here that knows their way around a fish tank. No need to be referring to those who differ in opinion from your holier than thou 30 yrs of rift lake experience, as lemmings, amigo.

BTW - welcome to MFK

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
I agree that water changes along with all the other aspects of proper maintainance are vitaly important to the overall long term health of our fish, nutrition is also just as important, not only in quailty but in quantity as well. As far as NLS goes I personally feed it and love the results I see. As far as Mbuna are concerned in relation to the CA/SA cichlids the digestive systems are like compairing apples and oranges. While there are fish eating species, snail eating species and omniviours most of the commenly encountered species are alge grazers with much longer digestive tracts and subject to some differents maladies and nutritional requirements as a result. While I've kept primarly CA/SA cichlids most of my adult life my experiance with African Mbuna is limited. Experiance with one doesn't nessisarly translate to the other. While both are cichlids and the basic requirements are similar they are very different at the same time. We should always respects each others knowledge and experiance, never assume you know more than the next guy untill they prove otherwise.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Dietary bloat in a non issue with some of the more premium pellet foods on the market, and most certainly if one is feeding NLS. I don't care if it's a CA, SA, or Rift Lake cichlid. I've kept them all & fed them all the same food, exclusively, including some of the most bloat prone cichlids found in the Rift Lakes.

Without boring anyone with another lecture on what causes bloat, anyone that's interested can read my comments on that subject in this past discussion. http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=391539

I have personally kept some of the most herbivorous Mbuna found in the Rift Lakes, such as Tropheops macrophthalmus, Pseudotropheus elongatus, Labeotropheus fuelleborni, Labeotropheus trewavasae, etc-etc. I've also raised tropheus sp from Lake Tanganyika, many wild caught fish, and many tank raised, and over all the years of keeping, breeding, and raising these strict herbivores, not so much as a single case of bloat when feeding NLS. Many other MFK members have experienced the same results as I have in this regards.

I personally don't care if people want to feed dry rabbit turds to their fish, and would be more than happy if this thread was to fall off the face of MFK, but at the same time I find it rather difficult to ignore misinformation.

kdrun76

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
CT
Hey RD, I haven't been around in a while. I just wanted to put in a quick public....YOU ROCK.

We don't agree, we probably never will, but you are one amazing source of information with the patience of a saint. They way you deal with the folks that seem to have a mission of making people mad is nothing short of amazing.

Having just read this thread for the first time in a few months.... wow. Just wow.

Someday I hope to sit back and share a beverage with you.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Thanks Karen, I appreciate the kind words, which is typically not the way these kinds of discussions begin, or end. lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store