Hikari vs. NLS

shenlonco

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2009
NJ
Hi I am not attacking no one this is just my personal feeling on the NLS food.... In fact it's 100% ok to feed your fish any food that's available it's your fish feed them what you like...... It's the same way with dog pet foods some say this some say that but guess what you can feed your dog the cheap dog food that's half the price of the top brands and your dog could live very long Done this being i bread boxers for 20 years ones that ate pedigree lived 12 1/2 years and ones on top hight end brands only lived to 7 years some times... ...no one knows nothing a so call top brand could sound good but for all you know can make your pet not live a long life same with fish foods it's all pot luck and a gamble .

Calihawk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
I just visited a local trout hatchery and brought home some feed. Very oily and fatty so im gonna feed my little ones sparingly for a week or two. Next time Im taking a little net and container hidden in a backpack. There were so many different sections with different sizes. Im stealing some Rainbow trouts he he he

Gatorxxx420

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2010
Taylor, Mi
buddha1200;4881741; said:
This is just a debate,i myself am not takin it personal just expressing what i feel about the subject and the statements made.Just like rd expresses how he feels about the statements i make. Just two different opinions from two different people. I think its others that are making it personal by saying he is being attacked. If we cant state how we feel or think on the subject than what is the piont of this whole forum. If every time some one doesnt bow down and agree with some one else they are automatically attacking some one. I read all the info rd has presented on the subject,most very interesting,but that doesnt mean i have to agree with it all,even though i do agree with some.
I never said anyone was attacking Neil, I said people take the things Neil says as an attack on how they keep and feed their fish. Sure your fish look great, but there is a lot more to it than just their food. Genetics is the bigger factor, if you get your fish from a good source known for quality stock, well then you've already got a leg up on the average Joe that buys their fish from LFSs and places like Petco and Petsmart. A good diet, clean water and high grade stock are going to look amazing in comparison to those other fish. But, look at the food we humans consume, there are a lot of preservatives and additives, that I'm sure play a big role in why so many people are getting cancer these days, and some of them are in some fish foods. Why on earth would you want to feed your fish these foods if they can cause serious illness in humans? They can't tell us if MSG causes them headaches or other problems. They can't tell us if those starches in some foods causes them pains of some sorts.

Please don't take what I just said as something that is for sure, but I'm sure fish like humans can feel bad from certain things in foods. It could happen with any of the foods, but ingredient wise, NLS looks the best to me. So that's why I choose it as my staple feed.

shenlonco;4881801; said:
Hi I am not attacking no one this is just my personal feeling on the NLS food.... In fact it's 100% ok to feed your fish any food that's available it's your fish feed them what you like...... It's the same way with dog pet foods some say this some say that but guess what you can feed your dog the cheap dog food that's half the price of the top brands and your dog could live very long Done this being i bread boxers for 20 years ones that ate pedigree lived 12 1/2 years and ones on top hight end brands only lived to 7 years some times... ...no one knows nothing a so call top brand could sound good but for all you know can make your pet not live a long life same with fish foods it's all pot luck and a gamble .
We raised our dog on Pedigree and he lived till he was 13. But that point is moot, because humans and animals alike are born with good and bad genetics. Life span depends on more than just diet. It doesn't matter how well we feed ourselves, our fish, our dogs or other pets. If there is a defect there, eventually it's going to show itself.

Bottom line, Neil has provided us with a lot of info to think about. If Hikari is your brand, use it. If NLS is your brand use it. Same goes for the other companies out there.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Ed - not to worry, just keep doing what you are doing, but drop the vitamin presoaking. I have never discouraged fresh or frozen supplements, unless one has picky fish to the point that they begin to hold out for the treats, and refuse to eat their staple food. It happens.

Don't know about you but i been fishing for over 30 years at alot of different locations and i never once when fishing seen anything in NLS food even near the water hardly at all... see more of it in the super market !!
I picked up my first fishing rod over 45 yrs ago, have fished coast to coast, and have seen most of what you see in a container of NLS in numerous bodies of native water.

You mean you have never seen any zooplankton or crustaceans (krill)?
Or fish? (herring & squid) Or seaweed, algae or micro-algae such as phytoplankton? (algae meal & spirulina)

Perhaps you didn't realize that some tropical fish are classified as frugivores, where a large part of their natural diet is fruit, seeds, and even nuts? (vegetable & fruit extract)

In the Amazon species such as Discus eat similar foods. The following is a direct quote from Heiko Bleher;

I have examined hundreds of specimens during many years and stomach and gut contents among wild Discus indicate an order of precedence: detritus, then plant material (flowers, fruits, seeds, leaves), algae and micro-algae, aquatic invertebrates and terrestrial and arboreal arthropods.
Some detailed reading on that subject here:
http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S1679-62252008000400008

"This species feeds predominantly on algal periphyton, fine organic detritus, plant matter, and small aquatic invertebrates."
"The alimentary canal of Symphysodon is characterized by a poorly defined stomach and an elongate intestine, some 300 mm long and 3 mm wide (in a 180 mm SL specimen). This intestinal morphology is typical of a cichlid with a dominantly vegetarian, detritivorous, or omnivorous diet."
Yet many hobbyists still feed discus beefheart, for no other reason than an attempt to maximize growth. Who cares if it happens to shave a few years off a fishs lifespan due to fat deposition in the liver. Right?

So shenlonco, what exactly is it that's found in NLS, that one would never see in the wild? Vitamins & trace minerals?

Seriously, please fill in the blanks as I'm at a loss as to what you are referring to?

pcfriedrich

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
North Central Florida
Neither food is bad for the fish. They are actually, both great choices. Why not feed NLS in the morning and Hikari at night?

Simple enough...

pcfriedrich

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
North Central Florida
shenlonco;4881801; said:

Completely off topic, but the ingredients of Ol' Roy dog food from wal mart are actually pretty good. considering its 15 bucks for a 48 lb bag.

HrHagel

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
Denmark
pcfriedrich;4882355; said:
Neither food is bad for the fish. They are actually, both great choices. Why not feed NLS in the morning and Hikari at night?

Simple enough...
Hikari and NLS are considered top feeds at the moment. And one of them, scientifically, has to be the superior feed. If you feed both, one of them are bound to be of lesser nutritional quality. This is basic logic.

This thread is to establish the superior feed, between the two. But as long as no other feed company, than NLS, (Even though Neil does not work for NLS) will step up, they are bound to lose.

Why is it, that when i ask a Hikari sales rep,. any basic question reguarding theire feed, they simply answer with a taught speach, they have been told to answer with, than an actual, factual, and corrrect response?

It bugs the hell out of me, that Hikari, Omega one, Ken Davis, or any of the current name brands, are not spending 5 minutes of theire time to defend theire feed, when clearly there are disturbing truths about theire feed, that need to be adressed?.

Besides that, the facts are on NLS' side, No one of any other feed company has ever in recorded history, been able to defend theire seemingly far lower quality feed versus. NLS.

I am not partial to NLS. I do not have a vested interest in NLS products. I am simply a consumer, looking for answers, and has only found answers from neil, a wholesaler of NLS, and not once in any forum received any usefull information about any other product out there.

I don't mean to offend anyone. This is my view on the subject.
Even though i will have to ship NLS overseas, as long as no one can even slighty challenge this product, i'll keep feeding the product.

shenlonco

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2009
NJ
I picked up my first fishing rod over 45 yrs ago, have fished coast to coast, and have seen most of what you see in a container of NLS in numerous bodies of native water.

You mean you have never seen any zooplankton or crustaceans (krill)?
Or fish? (herring & squid) Or seaweed, algae or micro-algae such as phytoplankton? (algae meal & spirulina)

Perhaps you didn't realize that some tropical fish are classified as frugivores, where a large part of their natural diet is fruit, seeds, and even nuts? (vegetable & fruit extract)

In the Amazon species such as Discus eat similar foods. The following is a direct quote from Heiko Bleher;

Don't know about you but i never seen this stuff near or in water anyplace i been?

Garlic, Vegetable and Fruit Extract (Spinach, Broccoli, Red Pepper, Zucchini, Tomato, Pea, Red and Green Cabbage, Apple, Apricot, Mango, Kiwi, Papaya, Peach, Pear

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store