Hikari vs. NLS

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
I started NLS after going through a whole bag of massivore and so far NLS has shown me far better results. Issues I have is that this one bass I have was fed massivore and is like a crack baby. I hope I can convert it sooner than later.

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

seedubs1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2011
Indiana USA
It's a bass man.....It isn't going to starve itself to death. It might not eat for a week or two, but you just have to have more will power than the fish.

When I switched my Dovii over from Massivore to NLS, he didn't eat for 2 weeks. But he was fine, and the NLS did noticeably make him more colorful (and healthy).

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
I have fed Hikari for ages ( only Aro floating sticks and Masivore big pellets) and find them extremely palatable to the fish. Not that the fish is bothered by it, but Massivore pellests stink like sewage. My wife, on the other hand, complains whenever i feed Massivore...:)
( I tried those big Carnisticks from Hikari with less than good results in palatability and water dirtiness).

I recently found NLS in my country ( and bought the 6mm sinking and 7,5 mm floating Thera A pellets ) and assisted to most of my fish ( Silver Aros and Knife, not to mention the CA's ) gulping them down from the get go as if it were their usual food.

I will keep feeding Hikari, but will not stop feeding NLS, and time will tell whith what I will stick, but the beasts gulped it down faster than they gulp Massivore ( when not used to the latter ).

M

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Anyone who knows me from other forums (especially cyphos.com) knows I'm more than willing to engage him in a debate, but essentially I agree with Neil (RD) here. I have no particular brand loyalty when it comes to fish food. In other words, I'm open minded, have no particular motivation to convince someone else to conform to my fish food opinions, and have no problem investigating a new product, or trying it out if it looks promising after checking out ingredients and guaranteed analysis, etc.

Was a time I thought Hikari was among the premium foods out there and it was one of the products I would use, until some years ago when I did some pretty extensive food testing, for my own reasons and not a consequence of forum debates or anyone's marketing. Side by side tests, same spawns, grown out in separate tanks, different foods, over more than one generation. I could name several products that gave me noticeably better results than Hikari, color, vitality, etc. and NLS is among them. Debates and technicalities aside, I don't care what anyone else thinks and I look at ingredients and analysis lists and go with what I see for myself in my own experience, period.

Meanwhile, during the same years I started doing a good bit of reading on fish health, nutrition, etc. and, suffice it to say, since doing so I would not feed my fish any product with the high ash content of some of the Hikari products (17% in Massivore, are you kidding me?) or with something as ambiguously identified as "Starch" listed high on their ingredients list.

Also, I was happy to hear a couple of years ago that NLS eliminated soy as an ingredient, for reasons Neil and I had no little discussion about once upon a time.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Welcome to MFK. I just looked at cyphos, nice Frontosa forum they are my favorite African.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store