Hoplias Lacerdae

fishinman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2007
Where the sun don't shine
After a little research, I am thinking mala as well. Under jaw is definitely V shaped ( i will get pics up in the next few days). It's a pretty cool looking mala if that's what it really is.. but not too happy about paying what I did for it.

@ KRSwop1- What makes you say mala? The patterns on the side?

fishinman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2007
Where the sun don't shine
...also, is it possible that it may be another species other than the common mala? It does seem to have a narrower head than most malas that i've seen. George @ shark aquarium seems to know his wolves and something made him think this was not mala. What he told me was that in his opinion, and that of the collector, was that it was lacerdae.

Guess I'm just hoping it is not a common mala as I specifically asked him for something other than that...

wright4lfe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 30, 2005
its a mala...i'll post a couple pics of mine later. not trying to be a dick, just want you to have the right info...

jelly

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
Herts, UK
www.Hoplias.webs.com
If it's any conselation it's a very nice mala. How big is it. Juvanile malas have a more extended jaw.

I suspect there is some work to do in regards to the mala as there is probably a number species under the name. Simalar to the recent work on the lacedae group.

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
jelly;3793903; said:
If it's any conselation it's a very nice mala. How big is it. Juvanile malas have a more extended jaw.

I suspect there is some work to do in regards to the mala as there is probably a number species under the name. Simalar to the recent work on the lacedae group.
yeah there probably are.
but for now,we'll call it a malabaricus.
if i remember right,lacerdaes dont get that arrow-like pattern on their bodies.

Swallowed

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2009
All over
Sucks that you were sold the wrong species, but it is an attractive malabaricus. See if you can get some money back from the seller

KRSwop1

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2005
Bay Area, CA
No worries about you guys asking me why I say mala. I think once you've actually owned one it's much easier to ID, kinda like how some people were having a hard time with armatus vs. tats or vitattus vs. goliath. You can tell pretty easily from the pattern on the body. Malas patterns are much more organized. If ur looking at the fish's profile, tail on the left side and head on the right, the pattern looks like back slashes above the latteral line and forward slashes below. Lacerdae have more random blotches in the middle of the latteral line.

Below is a link to some pics of my old lacerdae so you can see what I'm talking about with lacerdae's body pattern.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41135

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
KRSwop1;3801712; said:
No worries about you guys asking me why I say mala. I think once you've actually owned one it's much easier to ID, kinda like how some people were having a hard time with armatus vs. tats or vitattus vs. goliath. You can tell pretty easily from the pattern on the body. Malas patterns are much more organized. If ur looking at the fish's profile, tail on the left side and head on the right, the pattern looks like back slashes above the latteral line and forward slashes below. Lacerdae have more random blotches in the middle of the latteral line.

Below is a link to some pics of my old lacerdae so you can see what I'm talking about with lacerdae's body pattern.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41135
thanks for the info!
never had the chance to keep one since they never came here...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store