How Many Arapaima in Something Like This?

Banjardini

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Snorecal
ummm several problems/questions
1. how do you get inside?
2. Is it underground?
3. How to heat this, or is it unheated?
4. Is it viewable on the outside? (If I did that here it'll get vandalized.)
5. How much is admission? lol

Opps some of my questions were answered.

gt1009

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2009
Wilmington, NC
It being underground seems like the only reasonable choice. It should be better insulated for heating and cooling and it will provide so much more support for the walls just in case something breaks.

Yanbbrox

Monster hole digger
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Nr Mcr uk
Insane is the first word that springs to mind, but hey if it's going to be done in the private sector this is the place.

Insane would refer to the build, filtration would need a word not invented yet, but I would love to see it done:)

Good luck, I hope the dream is achieved

MyFishEatYourFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 15, 2008
monsterville
alright, i'm tempted to bite only cause as far as i know, pete, youre legit. but i'm sure youre ready for tons of skepticism about the actual construction of this tank. for right now, i'm not getting my hopes up, my heart still hasn't healed after that 18,000 gal reef build :(
anyway, i'm sure over 100 would do fine for a quite a while, full size of 8+ feet might be another situation altogether. i don't think the size of the tank will be your limitation, but the amount of mouths to feed. that tank, stocked, could go through 100 pounds of food a day!!!
the most economical filteration would probably be an equally sized pond jammed with all sorts of plants from cattails to lilys.
can we have some more info? or is it still in the "hmmm, is it possible" stage?

oregonian

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2007
portland, oregon
ok, i know NOTHING about tanks that large except what i have read on here. so don't take anything i say to seriously but just thinking about this builds got me:drool:

anyways i've always dreamed about this type of "tank" however i'd consider this bordering on a manmade lake and speaking of once you are underground why stop at 60ft and why circular. might be easier for materials/installation to go straight edged. remember although circles are stronger they need to be made same or higher quality otherwise just as likely to fail.

i would look up making ponds/lakes since you get many advantages. i have relatives in ny(only been once) that built a pond/lake probably 75 x 50 ft over 20 years ago. its about 12 ft deep at center. they have bass in it and some have been around (i am told) for years, so much so that they have learned to follow people as they walk around it so when frogs get spooked they basically jump straight into their mouth,:ROFL:
sorry got distracted but point is that there is no extra filtration except the plants and sand bottom. only thing they add is to stop algae blooms. so if you built it (i'm assuming LA) you could probably set it up to be mostly self sustaining with only a few extra filters depending on how many fish are in it. my idea has been to pump the water up and then have it go through a type of river system around the edges where it will have fast and slow areas to become oxygenated then allow the bio to work. then all you have to do for viewing is basically build a plywood aquarium reversed and sink it. Simple;)(j/k)

sorry to ramble, but like i said the idea is great to me. if i had land, i'd probably be digging right now:grinno: anyways best of luck and keep updating.

oh yeah and why not add some gars, you could just go catch em;)

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Banjardini;2979116; said:
ummm several problems/questions
1. Answered in the very first post. The squares are bridges across from the outside. The detail of the structure inside is yet to be determined. It is viewed overhead from the bridges.

2. It's just a pond. Ponds are generally in the ground.

3. Undetermined, but it's just in the idea stage.

4. The view is as if the ground around it was removed. Most likely there will be sections around the perimeter with recessed viewing areas.

5. How much would you pay?

Hope that answers your questions :D

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
gt1009;2979139; said:
It being underground seems like the only reasonable choice. It should be better insulated for heating and cooling and it will provide so much more support for the walls just in case something breaks.
It is just a big pond as I said and in the ground like just about every other pond. Whether it is lined or sprayed with something like Blue Max or natural bottom is yet to be determined. There is no need to cool it as the bridges provide shaded areas and as of yet heating is to be determined. 75% of the year here it wouldn't need to be heated.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store