How Many Arapaima in Something Like This?

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Yanbbrox;2979182; said:
Insane is the first word that springs to mind, but hey if it's going to be done in the private sector this is the place.

Insane would refer to the build, filtration would need a word not invented yet, but I would love to see it done:)

Good luck, I hope the dream is achieved

Ever been to public aquarium or heard of something called aquaculture? Filtration for something like this has been around for 30+ years.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
MyFishEatYourFish;2979192; said:
alright, i'm tempted to bite only cause as far as i know, pete, youre legit. but i'm sure youre ready for tons of skepticism about the actual construction of this tank. for right now, i'm not getting my hopes up, my heart still hasn't healed after that 18,000 gal reef build :(
anyway, i'm sure over 100 would do fine for a quite a while, full size of 8+ feet might be another situation altogether. i don't think the size of the tank will be your limitation, but the amount of mouths to feed. that tank, stocked, could go through 100 pounds of food a day!!!
the most economical filteration would probably be an equally sized pond jammed with all sorts of plants from cattails to lilys.
can we have some more info? or is it still in the "hmmm, is it possible" stage?

Trying to make it too complex. Think much more naturally occuring and simple. You're on the right track with the plants though. My primary concern is circulation and heating. I'm thinking that a spring or well, obviously filtered if necessary, would be a good way to go for circulation and constant water exchange.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
oregonian;2979316; said:
ok, i know NOTHING about tanks that large except what i have read on here. so don't take anything i say to seriously but just thinking about this builds got me:drool:
It's not a tank, it's a pond with a viewing area in the middle.

The ground around it won't go anywhere. It'll be dug out. My main concern is the structure in the middle supporting the viewing windows. I'll most likely use the material DLS (double-layer spiral) was made from. A lot of people think it was made for the original wet/dry filters, but in actuality it was used as retention material for levees and dikes.

You're on the right track here. The viewing area is 20'x20' so it'll likely be something much more significant like concrete filled cinder block walls with rebar.

It'll likely have more than just arapaima, but I wouldn't want anything to give them competition or detract from them being the primary focus.

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
id say 5 or 6 with alot of other crazy large preds would be good.... best of luck to you hope ya build it... i think for the center a solid very thick circle of acrylic would be the strongest safest bet... octagon seems to have potential for fail in it...

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Nic, you making the donation of the $200000 20' acrylic cylinder?

I'm pretty sure concrete with acrylic panels inset will be fine, especially with only 5' depth. There will be people we know who are structural engineers giving input for sure though.

It's mostly in the idea phase right now. At least until we find a piece of land we like.

oregonian

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2007
portland, oregon
sorry i did read that you were already doing it below ground, i use tank outa habit:)

so where about are you looking for land. are you going to live at the site and how far out are you looking? like my tag emplies(?) i'm from oregon in the valley. my thinking was about setting up rain water traps (yes i know it won't cover very freq w/c but may help if you have enough area.) i was also wondering are you going to construct a building to cover or is this going to be open? sorry for so many questions but this is the first (hopefully successful) attempt or thread i have seen regarding a pond approaching the size i saw at my inlaws place. plus to have large predatory fish:thumbsup:. good deterent to weak of heart-lets swim just don't mind that pima eyein your goods.:naughty:

best of luck

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
good luck pete. If you do 4 bridges all as wide as the four viewing walls then you could use them for extra support in a way. Just a thought. Also for heating, aireation, ect, you might look into solar options for the winter. Check out aquatic eco systems they have products that are more than well suited for this project! Also gotta keep water out of the viewing area somehow. Will it be covered?(viewing area)

Moshmarine

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2007
Beverly Hills, FL
www.myspace.com
along with the arapaima, you could add other fish like alligator gar, RTC, TSN, or even better yet, a Wells Catfish!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store