How Many Arapaima in Something Like This?

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
danz;2980605; said:
I could be wrong but I dont think a block wall will cut it and you would need to do pour in place.
You are. Look at JohnPTC's build. The structure will be built like the 100000 gallon tanks were in my friend's night club and restaurant. Compression strength is greater than tension strength. In other words, instead of keeping water in the wall will be keeping water out.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Gator;2981158; said:
What kind of budget are you looking at with this?
The beer and bbq budget; free labor in exchange for bbq and beer. My friend has a lot of friends with businesses, so I'm sure he'll be calling in some favors. I wouldn't be surprised if some of his friends make donations of materials just to see it happen.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
necrocanis;2980479; said:
good luck pete. If you do 4 bridges all as wide as the four viewing walls then you could use them for extra support in a way. Just a thought. Also for heating, aireation, ect, you might look into solar options for the winter. Check out aquatic eco systems they have products that are more than well suited for this project! Also gotta keep water out of the viewing area somehow. Will it be covered?(viewing area)
I may very well go with 4 instead of two depending on what the center structure design ends up being, but not for support since it's in the ground and there's no need.

We've both done business with aquaticeco for over 20 years. They are a great resource for information and gear.

paopanlilio

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2009
makati
why not put a dolphin in rather than a pema hehehe
but thats a nice pond/mini lake

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
Sounds great. I would definitely have to make a trip down to see it if you did do it. I would hope that you put some big kitties in there also. Just a note for you. I've had heater failures with my rtc and rtcxtsn. Both were able to survive in water temps in the 40-50F Range. They were just rather sluggish until I slowly over a 2 week period moved the water back up to a comfortable 75-80F range. My jau however died. TSN did well also, but were way worse off than the RTCs. I would do like others suggest and do an amazon biotype. Would be awesome.

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
oh, and mosquito fish to keep down mosquitos of course and also as a supplemental food source. If you provide plenty of cover and some shallow areas they will reproduce quite well and you won't have to feed them since they will just feed off of what nature gives them.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
My friend keeps mosquito fish in his ponds and has no problems with mosquitos whatsoever. Great fry food too.

Paddlefish might be cool too. Or, I could just go with a group of azul pbass and become the richest mofo on the planet!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store