How to entertain my oscar?

gt1009

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2009
Wilmington, NC
I have the ping pong ball in the tank. He doesn't really pay much attention to it. I know some people say no more fish, but I disagree. I would like to give him another oscar, but I'm not 100% sure the combo would work out. I could get one cheap from work for sure though. Otherwise, 3 silver dollars are getting added once I get my paycheck.

ohhsweetness

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2008
Australia/ Brisbane
dont put it in the tank play with him bounce it against the tank
my dads old red devil use to love it one day the ball went in the tank he took a run up and poped it out of the tank it bounced out of the tankl onto the wall back in the tank and then we just left the ball in the tank and thats how he played with it against the wall but now him n the ball are long gone he was an awesome fish

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
You have a thirty gallon sump on that tank? How else could you fit another Oscar?

I gave mine a kitten toy with the catnip removed. It's a hard plastic cage ball with a bell in it. He almost seems interested in it a week later. First he hid. Now he is indifferent.

nighthawk2207

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2009
Cincinnati,Ohio
I have 2 oscars an a jack demp in my 75g I disagree with the no more fish as long as you have a good filtration system to keep the water clean thers plenty of space for one more.

holidayinn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2008
London
Your tank, your fish...everyone here is giving you good advice, I wouldnt get more oscars (or big fish), get a plec or something, maybe some dithers if you really want something...fact is, whichever forum you go, they'll tell you the same, if you want more fish get a bigger tank

Binohendrix

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2007
Bahia, Brazil
I dont think fish need toys....Although we love them to death, fish are not like dogs. I think that, when a fish chases a ping pong ball, hes just being agressive or a predator, like he would do with another fish. I dont think hes playing. If wanto to exercise your fish, give it live food. Chasing shrimps , moths, crickets, IMO, is way more healthy than banging a ping pong ball against the glass.

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
I don't know. Oscars are pretty smart, and can certainly act bored if they aren't truly. I have yet to watch an Oscar playing, so I can't comment on aggression displays. I'm not a fish, but I would want something to tinker with if I lived in a glass box. Either way, it does no evident harm, so why oppose it?

GERMANRED

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2008
GONZALES
I know exactly what you mean... i have a frontosa who is best friends with a blood parrrot that was placed in his tank for a day so i could move some things and ever since they have been impossible to seperate. I tried entertaining the front with other stuff, fish, toys, etc. but the only thing that really worked was his friend back. Id try another oscar and just clean your tanks. but upgrading is always suggested!! big tanks rule!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store