channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
DB junkie;2797384; said:
I've had all 4 of the Payara species.

I'm sticking with Armatus.

Give it a month then tell me what I've won.....LOL. If you are going to ID off fin coloration give it a few months. By then you should be able to ID by adipose. Take it from someone who HAS had small Armatus... The only way to tell when so young is the size of the tail and cadual fin in relation to overall body size.

Congrats man!!!!!
at 3-4" i should be able to tell if hes not a scomb.
has anyone had scombs below 2"?
whats their growth like?
ive only raised scombs from 3" and above and they had decent growth at that time,but nothing like an armatus or even a tat at that size.

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
JD7.62;2797622; said:
I just looked at the pics again and actually read your post, I am saying armatus too! Did you pay scomb price for him? CONGRATS!
i payed 20USD.:D:ROFL:
hope youre right.....seems all the armatus guys are calling him armatus.
hope that doesnt change when i take side pics.:nilly:
still...can anyone tell me if their armatus at 2" had those black spots under the pectorals?

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
heres those pics....
now he wont stop swimming around.
almost always horizontal.
i think theres too much current.
im going to fill water up more....also because the feeders are small enough to fit through the gaps of the sponge and get stuck to the pumps.......:irked::irked::irked:
now ive got only one feeder left alive.
also going to get some fake plants for cover if he needs it....

001.JPG

003.JPG

006.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

013.JPG

014.JPG

015.JPG

018.JPG

019.JPG

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa

Earliest one I could find thus far.

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
DB junkie;2798178; said:

Earliest one I could find thus far.
looks like mine...but yours didnt have the black spot under the pectoral?
plus yours already has the orange at this stage.
its around 3" in this pic?

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Just found one of my very first Armatus..... The first RW shipment.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
channarox;2798192; said:
looks like mine...but yours didnt have the black spot under the pectoral?
plus yours already has the orange at this stage.
its around 3" in this pic?
I'm not sure on size.....

A couple black dots aren't going to be the difference between Scombs and Armatus. I have had 1.5 inch Scombs...... The tails were much smaller with sharper forks.

It really doesn't matter who believes me or not.... Rich didn't believe me either, nor did anyone else in the Infinite $50 Armatus debate. Guess who laughed all the way to the airport...

Like I said I have had all the species, and still have most of them on ice. Armatus and Scombs were both VERY small when I got them. Have also had small Rhaphs..... Tats I have only seen pics of small ones, as the smallest I have ever had was about 3.5-4 inch.

Like I said.... You'll know soon enough. Mark the calender. It will grow 1/4 to 1/2 inch a week. Within a month you'll begin to see the adipose color.

If I'm wrong.... call be an idiot and laugh.... Wouldn't be the first time and I'm sure it won't be the last. If I'm right..... It will just be like the last couple times.... I don't mind being doubted.... LOL :ROFL:

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I'm guessing both pics are probobly pushing 4.

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
DB junkie;2798243; said:
I'm not sure on size.....

A couple black dots aren't going to be the difference between Scombs and Armatus. I have had 1.5 inch Scombs...... The tails were much smaller with sharper forks.

It really doesn't matter who believes me or not.... Rich didn't believe me either, nor did anyone else in the Infinite $50 Armatus debate. Guess who laughed all the way to the airport...

Like I said I have had all the species, and still have most of them on ice. Armatus and Scombs were both VERY small when I got them. Have also had small Rhaphs..... Tats I have only seen pics of small ones, as the smallest I have ever had was about 3.5-4 inch.

Like I said.... You'll know soon enough. Mark the calender. It will grow 1/4 to 1/2 inch a week. Within a month you'll begin to see the adipose color.

If I'm wrong.... call be an idiot and laugh.... Wouldn't be the first time and I'm sure it won't be the last. If I'm right..... It will just be like the last couple times.... I don't mind being doubted.... LOL :ROFL:
not doubting you....not doubting anyone.
im far from an expert.
the armatus debate....you were right...all turned out armatus.
if youre wrong,then im more wrong...cause im the first to suspect it to be an armatus.
hopefully that 90% of me is wrong...

you say baby scombs have "tails were much smaller with sharper forks.".
whats that mean exactly?
the black dots im talking about are those that typical scombs have.
the ones under the pectoral that ive seen on every single individual.
do armatus have that as well?
from all the pics i see,armatus do not or have very vague ones.
how was the growth rate of baby scombs?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store