DasArab

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2007
Scotland
www.bloodparrots.co.uk
kingaru;986886; said:
Hello

I'm using 2128 for my 450L aquarium and got tired with exactly the same issue with floaties ... and constantly dirty filter hoses... does anyone have experience to improve mech filtering abilities of this model of the filter?
Or for 450L 2128 is not powerful enough?

Regards
Igor
I actually use 2 2128 on my 450lt tank but regardless I have neverhad any issues with floaties. Do you still use the eheim white pads on the top? I use Sera Filter Floss to polish the water and have never had any problems with bypass on the 2128.

Jolley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2005
Katy, Texas
Hmmm.......I'm interested to see what fish you have in this tank, HarleyK. I am the owner of a new Pro 3 and I absolutely love this filter. My water is crystal clear. The Pro 3 is on my 300 gallon tank along with 2 Pro II 2028's. I have 16 large Zaires Frontosa's and 10 Clown Loaches. The Pro 3 has replaced two AC 110's. I must say that I have never had a problem with floaties and I still do not. That's why I'm curious of the fish you keep. Of course, I don't post much on here because I keep different fish than the majority. Still interested nonetheless.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Jolley;1234553; said:
I'm curious of the fish you keep. Of course, I don't post much on here because I keep different fish than the majority
You may be surprised ;)

Use of Eheim 2080 as single means of filtration:

before (insufficient mech filtration)

220 gal

Stock
  • Xiphophorus helleri (~15)
  • Trichogaster trichopterus (4)
  • Pantodon buchholzi (5)
  • Tetraodon sp. (3)
  • Ancistrus dolichopterus (2)
  • Corydoras paleatus (5)
  • and for a few months Myleus rubripinnis rubripinnis (5)
  • and before that Altolamprologus compressiceps (2)

Planted
  • Anubia nana
  • Cryptocoryne beckettii, C. ciliata, C. wendtii
  • Echinodorus barthii
  • Lemna minor
  • Lilaeopsis mauritiana
  • Pistia stratiotes
  • Vallisneria spiralis

after(perfect now)

75 gal

Stock
  • Hoplias malabaricus (1)

Planted (bare bottom)
  • Anubias barteri var nana 'Petite'
  • Anubias barteri var barteri 'Broad Leaf'
  • Microsorum pteropus 'Windelov'
  • Süßwassertang

HarleyK

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
DasArab;1244861; said:
Luving the top tank Harley :)
Thank you ... it's in storage right now :(

But not for much longer - I hope to re-activate it in early Jan :D:D:D

hatorihanzoe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2007
toronto
dude i've got the same problem with the eheim pro 3. .....the bio fill never let nitrates and ammonia to go anything above zero....but its mech filteration sucks so bad. and my tank is only 110g........i think if u got a 100g+ u need to get a fx5 for mech filteration and the eheim for bio filteration.....or with about $700 combined for both filteration and a bit more for those media.....get BIG sump with a pump and PVC pipes for overflow think thats the way to go.

in the meanwhile, there isn't a single canister filter on the market that can do what they advertised.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Your thoughts are a little skewed. The rating for the canisters is about how many gallons they can handle for bio, but not mechanical. Mechanical filtration is important, but not critical for healthy fish, or even survival. Granted several filters still do not meet their claims.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store