Improving Eheim Pro 3 mech filtration

esse

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2006
Henderson Nevada
If you wanted the best filtration why not go with a good bio filter (E3) & a good mch filter (FX5). Now you have the best of both. Or… lets go back to the top of the thread and upgrade the e3 witch I think is a great idea. :clap

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
esse;1248061; said:
If you wanted the best filtration why not go with a good bio filter & a good mch filter
I will :) Have my eyes on a 2262 for when I resurrect my 220 gal.:headbang2

... I still believe that one canister can do it - it just has to be the right one :thumbsup:

Scottfree

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
location, location, location
Harley, I saw your info on the 2080, I set my up this past week. One thing that I'm confused on is how does additional mechanical in the top container help with mechanical? I would think there would be any debris what would get through the Ehfi mech and the Substrat Pro...

Guerillah

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2008
USA
Yea... shouldnt the filter floss go in the bottom basket to prevent the bio media getting clogged?

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy,

Basically, it's a filtration with increasingly finer mesh. What's left at the end will be trapped in the fine filter floss before it gets a chance to be pumped back into the tank. My biomedia does not clog up :grinno: Large particles are stuck in EhfiMech. But of course, some crap also settles in the EhfiSubstrat. But by far not enough to clog the system.

If you had fine filter floss at the beginning, it would clog up right away. The way I have it filled and the way it's recommended by Eheim allows longest service intervals.

HarleyK

cchhcc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
Virginia Beach, VA USA
Guerillah;2286122; said:
Yea... shouldnt the filter floss go in the bottom basket to prevent the bio media getting clogged?
No, no......... All the waste is prefiltered in the 2080. There is a sponge layer when the water enters at the top. Then it flows down into the bio-media and back up for the final polish before being returned to the tank.

The 2080 is not designed like the other Eheims. The addition of the prefilter is a big bonus to this filter.

Guerillah

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2008
USA
Im still confused... Does water flow bottom to top or top to bottom through the media or what?

cchhcc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
Virginia Beach, VA USA
Scottfree;2289108; said:
CChhcc, the water goes upward on the 2080...
Yes it does......... eventually.

First it fills the prefilter area at the top of the canister. That is a new process for Eheim canisters. Then it flows down to the bottom........... THEN it flows up through the bio-media, the final polishing floss, and is returned to the tank.

I've got several 2080s.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
cchhcc;2290689; said:
I've got several 2080s.

I'm sorry to hear ;)

Latest addition to my Pro3 is a 100 micron filter sheet. It has been in use for a couple of months now, with great results. Basically, I cut it about 2'' larger than the Eheim pads on all four sides. Then I crammed it over the top basket, stuffing the extra fabric into the crack around the basket.

It doesn't clog up easily because I also use prefilters on both filter inlets. Not the hydros Wyld mentioned, but similar.

IMO the Pro3 design needs serious help...

HarleyK

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store