INDY DIY GUYS

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Well, my whole big long conversation about finally getting the tank apart was deleted, so I'll have to remember what I wrote. I'll be short about it this time.

Top euro bracing - Completely demolished by my hammer. It came off really easy after that.

Rest of the tank - The seams were so close that you could even get a razor blade between them. We used a 2x4 that was cut a bit longer to wedge the seams apart. This worked really well. I wouldn't try this on small tanks, but for 3/4" glass, it was surprisingly effective.

I had to demolish a few other bottom bracing pieces to get the tank apart, but nothing that can't be replaced rather easily. The important part is that the big panes are still in tact.

I'll post pics up shortly.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Both tanks have water in them and are running! They now have fish in them.

Drains:
As you can see.... one is a bit long. I have to trim the hose down a bit cause I was recycling.

Filling with water:

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
NotoriousSway;3292312; said:
I can't believe I'm actually getting really exited about a tank other than my own. I guess its not every day you get to see a 500g African cichlid predator tank.
You're telling me. I am ready to get this thing going!

The tear down. I did most of this by myself, so I didn't have anyone to take pics. But here are a couple to give you something to look at.

Not quite so big anymore is it? LOL

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
zennzzo;3292981; said:
500g...!? gotta be what, 700lbs?

And Plate is much easier to move than a tank...
good luck with the re-build/re-seal bro, I have faith you'll ACE it! :headbang2

I'd say the tank is weighing in at just a tad over 1,000 lbs. Front panel alone weighs about 240 lbs or so.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store