Jeff Rapps Vieja synspilus 9-10"

HrHagel

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
Denmark
orbit;3631849; said:
Absolutely true!

You'll just get a stunted, deformed, unhealthy fish! COOL!! And his life expectancy will be cut in less than half...:crazy:
That's theory.

I'm being factual.

orbit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2008
Michigan
I work at a very busy petstore that is mainly fish strong sales. I have seen about 3 different cases of this scenario (been there for 9 months). Its quite nasty.

By all means do what you see fit. Not looking to offend anyone.

HrHagel

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
Denmark
No offence taken, nor did i mean to offend you, sir :)

I even agree with you somewhat. I belive you are right, but i must say i only think this occurs in extremeties, such as in pet stores with 200 fish crammed into 20g.

I was merely pointing out the common (false) belief, created by salesmen, that fish will only grow according to the water volume/tank size, which is not true.

orbit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2008
Michigan
Ok I got what you are saying! Lol I thought u were implying the opposite. Lol some times I read too fast.

buddha1200

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2008
camden, NJ
if you like it get it with proper diet and care the colors will come out

Aquamojo

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2003
NE Pennsylvania
www.aquamojo.com
Red Terror_86;3631343; said:
Hi Aquamojo, i have been following yourwork for some time now, your pictures of your cichlids are mindblowing! a true credit to the hobbie.

What do you think of some of my pictures, only taken with a cell phone as new baby got in the way of an SLR but i love it all the same. p.s, here is my synspilum, comments welcome.

Thanks and keep the pictures coming
I had to read that again....for a cell phone those photos are incredible. The fish looks great. Good luck with it.

One comment on size and tank space. I have fish that...at the same age and size...were put into different tanks. While it is true that fish never stop growing, they do see to adapt appropriately to their environment. Fish that were placed in the large pond grew dramatically (sometimes 40-50% more) than those in the smaller tanks. And by smaller I mean two fish in a 100 gallon tank as opposed to the 1600 gallon pond.

raymondk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2009
southern california
go for it

HrHagel

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
Denmark
Aquamojo;3634223; said:
I had to read that again....for a cell phone those photos are incredible. The fish looks great. Good luck with it.

One comment on size and tank space. I have fish that...at the same age and size...were put into different tanks. While it is true that fish never stop growing, they do see to adapt appropriately to their environment. Fish that were placed in the large pond grew dramatically (sometimes 40-50% more) than those in the smaller tanks. And by smaller I mean two fish in a 100 gallon tank as opposed to the 1600 gallon pond.
I'm not saying that you are lying Mr.Mojo, and i believe that you are right too.
I'm simply pointing out, from a scientific view, that it wasn't the volume alone that allowed your fish to grow.
In larger volumes of water, the water takes longer to get "dirty" and will often require less filtration than a smaller tank would have.
The hormones that allow the fish to grow are activated (in basics) by clean water. Where the fish would shut down some of those hormones in "dirty" water.
One can argue that there are several other factors in play, such as mating, territorial protection etc. But those can not be proven scientifically as of yet (to my knowledge).

Wow i sound like a shaft.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store