Lowly tinfoil barbs getting their own thread...

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
No way! I've never seen tinfoils that colorful! Is this because of diet or genetics or both? Also black substrate?

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Beautiful and underappreciated fish; I haven't had any for something like 30 years, back when they were all just plain Barbus schwanenfeldi. I had a few that were purchased to act as dithers in a community of big cranky cichlids and catfish, but they quickly grew to be stars in their own right; I was tempted recently when I saw some for sale in our local importer's shop but I just can't do them justice now. I wouldn't want them unless I could devote the space to keeping a school of at least 10 or more. Back then the Toronto Aquarium had such a tank in the Indo-Malayan pavillion, something like 12 x 6 x 6 feet, containing a large school of adult Tinfoils, and it was an absolute show-stopper; even in a world-class zoo like that it was easy to spend way too much time just sitting in front of that tank.

Tinfoils are one of those species of fish that may not be particularly eyecatching in a photo, or when kept alone, and especially not when small...but which can form a spectacular display when allowed to develop their full adult beauty.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store