Making my 800 gal larger.

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
Wow, do you have a job? lol. Wanna do a run down like that of my build when I'm finished? I'll do something similar, but I'm sure it won't be as in depth, lol. My build is only on MFK so far. I really like the video rundown of your filtration. The part about the heating you do on this tank is great. Is your water heater electric or gas? Do you have run down of how this tank has affected your power bill, gas bill, water bill?

TheFishGuy

Candiru
MFK Member
May 8, 2006
North east Ohio
www.monsterfishrescue.com
necrocanis;2948062; said:
Wow, do you have a job? lol. Wanna do a run down like that of my build when I'm finished? I'll do something similar, but I'm sure it won't be as in depth, lol. My build is only on MFK so far. I really like the video rundown of your filtration. The part about the heating you do on this tank is great. Is your water heater electric or gas? Do you have run down of how this tank has affected your power bill, gas bill, water bill?
Yes, I'm a carpenter backed up with three years worth of work that's ALL weather related. So winters are the easy time :)

Water heater is a 50 gallohn GAS. Brand spankin new, I put it in in the middle of doing this tank :)

The tank has only been set up for about a month or so. But when I was heating the 800 with two 1000W baseboard heaters the electric bill was astronomical in winter... As of these last months' bills nothing has changed... The pump makes up for unplugging the heaters for the pond aparently... I was using a 150W and 300W heater to heat the pond LOL Got it up to a crazy 74* LOL The water bill comes quarterly and this upcoming one will be more than normal due to all the filling and emptying of the tank. BUT it only costs $12 to fill the tank so I'm not too concerned...

djarmstrong;2948807; said:
Great vid's , awsome collection of fish .
Thank you :)

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
my water bill runs about $35 per month right now. I'm using around 3000 gals per month. I figure it will be around double when I get my tank up and running. I'm actually hoping that my power bill will come down a lot with the big tank up and running. I will not have a need to run a heater for very long in the garage next winter. Since the tank is comepletely enclosed I anticipate it will hold it's heat way better than anything I've made so far lol. I plan on using one of those hot water heaters that gives you hot water on demand. It will only turn on when the water is lower than the temp you set it for. I plan on just running water continuously through it unless I need to do a water change. I'll put in a two way valve that I can connect a hose to for water changes so that I can just heat up water straight from the garden hose. Nice to see what you're doing with your's though. Hope everything goes well with your permits.

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Yikes, I guess i underappreciate flat rate utilities.

TheFishGuy

Candiru
MFK Member
May 8, 2006
North east Ohio
www.monsterfishrescue.com
If you notice, there's an extra nipple on the drain cock of the water heater. This is so you can still drain the water heater if necessary. So keep that in mind...

$40 for 100' of pex (it only comes in 100 rolls, or I should say that was the smallest available)
$165 for the recirculating pump

Roughly $50 in misc fittings and valves. I like the copper ball valves which are three times the cost of the simple valves, but they shut the water down quickly :)

$65 for the temperature controller (thermostat)

$600 for my new water heater... I guess I can't really count that, so $320 But it will pay for it's self saving on the electric bill. Also, it kind of makes your water heater work a little less hard. This is probably thee most efficient way to heat multiple tanks or one big one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store