Mangrove Jack Growout

Berts46ers

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2018
NSW
Oh wow
Hadnt seen the thread for a little while. His new home is ace I love how you have indulged this fish for so long
He is looking tremendous and now small in the new tank which is great
His teeth are so cute in pics. One of my favourites Terry is :)
Thanks for the compliments Simonas 🙂
I have had him 2 years now (which seems to have gone very fast) but he is still a baby! Hopefully he is still around in another 10 years plus.
I knew when I got him that it was going to be a long term commitment and I love it. A single fish in a large tank isn’t for everyone though.

Very interesting fish to keep though. Quite intelligent, always watching intently what’s going on around his tank, and he shows different moods to different members of our family which is quite amusing.

The kids (1 and 4) love watching him, especially when he is feeding 😃

Simonas

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
Wirral, UK
Thanks for the compliments Simonas 🙂
I have had him 2 years now (which seems to have gone very fast) but he is still a baby! Hopefully he is still around in another 10 years plus.
I knew when I got him that it was going to be a long term commitment and I love it. A single fish in a large tank isn’t for everyone though.

Very interesting fish to keep though. Quite intelligent, always watching intently what’s going on around his tank, and he shows different moods to different members of our family which is quite amusing.

The kids (1 and 4) love watching him, especially when he is feeding 😃
Yeah I have followed the thread for a while its one of my favourites

Looking forward to many more years of posts

danotaylor

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2024
Okeana Ohio
Australian Lutjanids are not only very beautiful but they are excellent eating!
Mangrove jack are also some of the hard fighting fish pound for pound and are very sort after as a sport fish back home in Aus 🤩

Berts46ers

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2018
NSW
Terry is coloring up nicely.
He is real red and darker in colour because I just turned the light on.
He goes more pale after the light has been on for a while. I assume to blend into the white sand better.
He brings out his black vertical bars when he is real excited or angry, like at feeding time.

Berts46ers

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2018
NSW
Australian Lutjanids are not only very beautiful but they are excellent eating!
Mangrove jack are also some of the hard fighting fish pound for pound and are very sort after as a sport fish back home in Aus 🤩
I have never eaten 1 personally but hear they taste like barramundi, which I love to eat.
I live 1 hr north of Sydney, where to water is too cold for Jacks, but seen plenty of fishing vids from up north in QLD and NT way. They definitely fight hard from the get go!

Sassafras

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2009
USA
"Terry, the Mangrove Jack-fish
Had scales in very shiny rows
And if you ever saw him
You would even say 'he glows'"

(sung to the tune of "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer")

Reactions: Berts46ers
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store