Mangrove Jack Growout

Berts46ers

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2018
NSW
what are the quotes like you got? I’m also getting a8x4 at 24’’ tall, the best so far is from fish tank direct at about$3500.
Hi mate, I am in Australia. So I cannot get an off the shelf 8x4 unfortunately.
Just have a couple of quotes from local tank builders.
Looking at about $8k for tank, sump, stand that is clad, and plumbing etc. That is for a 8x4x2.5
Tanks ain’t cheap over here!

Berts46ers

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2018
NSW
F385CB9A-59F5-4B17-8B5C-09D6D697BA59.jpeg4B5C0AAC-DAB8-4344-9CFF-00899F40FD3A.jpeg4B27E6D9-D1C7-4F94-AB2B-136B5D2549BA.jpegTerry is still going strong.
Around 8” long at a guess, loving prawns and mussels at the moment.
No pellets, only raw seafood and the occasional pody mullet feeder when I catch a few down at the lake (once a month or less).

Reactions: kno4te

Berts46ers

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2018
NSW
Have put down a deposit on a new tank to be built for him.
8’x4’x32” glass tank. (Acrylic is pretty rare in AUS and very expensive).Genuine PPG Starphire front panel. Internal weir.
6’x3’x15” sump.
3’ steel stand, clad in matte black cabinetry.
Wait is a few months at the earliest, which is fine as he is still comfy in the 125 gallon for a little while yet.
Still not sure on how I want the plumbing to be, so I have a while to work that out.

Can’t wait!

Kalashnikov1408

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2017
Hi mate, I am in Australia. So I cannot get an off the shelf 8x4 unfortunately.
Just have a couple of quotes from local tank builders.
Looking at about $8k for tank, sump, stand that is clad, and plumbing etc. That is for a 8x4x2.5
Tanks ain’t cheap over here!
For this kind of money you seriously need to consider a plywood DIY build. It will be a fraction of the cost and much bigger. The most expensive part is the front viewing panel but if you wait long enough you'll find one for a deal.

Reactions: Berts46ers

Berts46ers

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2018
NSW
For this kind of money you seriously need to consider a plywood DIY build. It will be a fraction of the cost and much bigger. The most expensive part is the front viewing panel but if you wait long enough you'll find one for a deal.
I have space to go larger if I wanted to but I don’t really want a bigger tank than this size. Definitely not at this time anyway.

I briefly thought about going the plywood route but don’t really like the look of them and after watching and reading up about them more, I am not sold on the durability of a plywood aquarium. I know many people have success but many do not as well.

This tank will be inside my house, not a garage or shed so I am willing to pay a premium to have what I consider a nicer looking setup.

Thanks for the advice anyway and don’t tell my mrs there is a cheaper option haha.

Berts46ers

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2018
NSW
Looks to be coloring up. At what size do they get their red color?
I am not entirely sure to tell the truth. This is my first one as a pet.
When stressed or excited his bars come out and he goes more like the juvenile colours.

But when he is chilling he can look almost grey right through to dark red.

Reactions: phreeflow

Berts46ers

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2018
NSW
I have been doing renovations throughout my house for the last few weeks. Had to move Terrys tank into a spare bedroom temporarily. So stripped it all down, moved it and re-setup but without most of the rocks etc, because I will have to strip it down and move it back again in a few weeks.

I caught him relatively easy, but it did seem stressful for him. Then he was in a 80L tub for about 3 hrs whilst I re-setup the tank. The tub had a heater and filter on it.

Once I put him back in the tank I noticed his eyes seemed to be slightly glazed/blurry in the centre.

He seemed pretty stressed out for a day or 2. Has still been swimming around per normal and probably eating 75% of what he usually would.

I have been doing 2 x 50-75% water changes per week as usual and nitrates are around 5-10 which is normal for his tank.

It has been about 3 weeks and his eyes have only improved slightly.
It is very hard to get any meds in Aus so I was just going to stick with this method unless it escalates.

Now today I go in to the spare room and see that he looks to have 2 pieces of wood sticking out of him!
IMG_3019.jpegIMG_3018.jpegIMG_3017.jpeg
Now regarding the wood, if that is what it is, should I catch him and remove it, obviously going to stress him out a lot more temporarily, or leave it a day or 2 and see if it falls out on its own?

Regarding the cloudy eyes, what else can I be doing besides using medicine which will be very hard to obtain?

Any help is appreciated.

• Wow
Reactions: Simonas
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store