Mega Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover - DIY!

leonet

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2005
Just got this setup on my 150 gallon FW to provide extra filtration and help with any algae in the main tank. Let me know what your Ideas are... I'm running a 300 gph pump on the tower to run water over egg crate. Lots of surface for the algae to grow and not willing to put another light on...
[YT]Q8t1uUtco5M[/YT]
nice.

SantaMonica

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Santa Monica, CA, USA
Unfortunately egg crate is not going to work. At least put a layer of roughed-up plastic canvas over it. And use proper wattage based on feeding:

Nutrients "in" (feeding) must equal nutrients "out" (scrubber growth), no matter how many gallons you have. So...

An example VERTICAL waterfall screen size is 3 X 4 inches = 12 square inches of screen (7.5 X 10 cm = 75 sq cm) with a total of 12 real watts (not equivalent) of fluorescent light for 18 hours a day. If all 12 watts are on one side, it is a 1-sided screen. If 6 watts are on each side, it is a 2-sided screen, but the total is still 12 watts for 18 hours a day. This screen size and wattage should be able to handle the following amounts of daily feeding:

1 frozen cube per day (2-sided screen), or
1/2 frozen cube per day (1-sided screen), or
10 pinches of flake food per day (2-sided screen), or
5 pinches of flake food per day (1-sided screen), or
10 square inches (60 sq cm) of nori per day (2-sided screen), or
5 square inches (30 sq cm) of nori per day (1-sided screen), or
0.1 dry ounce (2.8 grams) of pellet food per day (2-sided screen), or
0.05 dry ounce (1.4 grams) of pellet food per day (1-sided screen)

High-wattage technique: Double the wattage, and cut the hours in half (to 9 per day). This will get brown screens to grow green much faster. Thus the example above would be 12 watts on each side, for a total of 24 watts, but for only 9 hours per day. If growth starts to turn YELLOW, then increase the flow, or add iron, or reduce the number of hours. And since the bulbs are operating for 9 hours instead of 18, they will last 6 months instead of 3 months.

Clean algae off of screen every 7 to 14 days, so that you can see the white screen material.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store