Mega Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover - DIY!

SantaMonica

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Santa Monica, CA, USA
Update:

The cyano stage: Some people, who start using a scrubber for the first time, get rid of their nuisance algae but then get some cyano that they never had before. The reason for this is that cyano is able to "fix" it's own nitrogen, which means it is good at getting the last nutrients that are available. However, once these last nutrients are removed, the cyano will go away too. And the more powerful the scrubber is, the quicker this happens.

Tien

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2010
Las Vegas
How and when can we request a DIY license? Additionally, Santa, I wanted to ask you something about screen material. I want to use a 3 or 5 gallon bucket for my scrubber. I will hang multiple CFLs from the lid. Instead of using a screen I was thinking of roughing up the inside walls of the plastic bucket. I know there are inefficiencies with this design, such as no dual sided screen, but nonetheless I have very limited space under my tank. Will the algae stick to the inside walls of the plastic bucket if I rough it up a bunch?

Tien

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2010
Las Vegas
If space is the problem, I'd wait and do the new design, which requires no sump. But yes the bucket will work if you line it with glued-on canvas. Just roughing it up will not be enough, however... the algae will let go when thick.

I'll post a link when the new DIY is ready.
What kind of glue would you suggest that is aquarium safe?

HawkinsStu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2011
UK
Curtainly will be trying a DIY scrubber for my 220gal when i get time for it, intresting to see what happens

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store