Mega Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover - DIY!

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Set mine up tonight... of course I can't find my camera to take a pic. Running just one 23W light right now, we'll see how it grows that way. Only objection so far is that where the water flows down the screen and hits the water surface, it's definitely not silent. I'm trying to think up a solution to this. I might try to find a strip of very coarse sponge to sew along the screen's bottom to slow the water down.

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
SantaMonica;2354425; said:
Cver is the bottom of your screen in the water?
Yes it is. It wasn't at first, making it so made a big difference to the noise level, but as I sit here typing, about 20 feet from the tank, I can hear it loud and clear.

SantaMonica

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Santa Monica, CA, USA
Many folks have been asking about the solar setup. Well that fellow is the success story of the day. "Bob the (reef)builder" on the MASA site originally set up this screen that I posted a few weeks ago:

Here are his updates:

9/21: Thank you for the input Santa monica, I will definately be doing this on an expanded basis. I think I will put a three ft tank in the sun and do what you've got on a slightly larger scale. Great simple fix to an ongoing problem by most aquarists.

9/28: The film is plastic and gets wet totally. Its 1m x 1m in size. The water input is also the stand. The strands run diagnally which makes the water flow very nicely. I'm happy with it and will let it stand in the sun. Hopefully get rid of the hair algae problem I have. You should see my actual tank to know why I jumped at this idea. The construction is so easy though. And if it works a quarter as well as Santa says it does, it will be like Christmas.

10/19: I changed this one as the upright design did not get enought sun. I put it on a 45degree angle and that was better:

10/25: It worked like a bomb. Phosphates down to 0.02 - 0.01 ppm (this is on a hanna meter and is very low). Normal test would just read undetectable. [Previously] the best I ever got it to trying every trick in the book including Zeo and Vodka, Lanthinum and many other phosphate removers was 0.03.

Clown Wrasse

Feeder Fish
Oct 27, 2008
Bermuda
Great Thread !!! I have two questions-
1- The flow rates you mention, are they the minimum flow rate and is there a maximum rate? would more be better?
2-In a warmer climate would this system signifcantly raise water temperature?
I'm a newbie on this site thought I'd let you know that this thread is the reason I signed up! Thanks again

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store