Mega Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover - DIY!

SantaMonica

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Santa Monica, CA, USA
Update Of The Day: Growth Progression

Blank screens usually start off with a light brown slime of diatoms, unless the water is really high in nitrate and phosphate, in which it might start with dark spots. After a few weeks, green slime or green hair will usually grow. And from that point on, it will be a mix of brown and green, all of which is easily cleaned off. After a few months, however, and if you have enough light (and maybe pulsed flow), you may start seeing real red/brown turf, or possibly bright green turf. You'll know that they are turf because they won't come off no matter what you do, except with a razor blade.

SantaMonica

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Santa Monica, CA, USA

Text Version:

There should not be any bubbles if a scrubber is set up correctly with smooth flow into the water below. But if you have too many bubbles, make sure the bottom of the screen goes all the way down below the waterline, so there is no waterfall off the bottom, and design the scrubber with an "under over under" divider section like some people use in sumps.

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
I'm on day 5 with almost no growth Zennz. I'm beginning to wonder if this starts much more slowly in a FW application.

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
SantaMonica;2368576; said:
How many days?
15 - look at his post title.

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Mile High in Northern AZ, baby!~
cvermeulen;2368578; said:
I'm on day 5 with almost no growth Zennz. I'm beginning to wonder if this starts much more slowly in a FW application.
I didn't see anything for a week, and then it started as a little bloom on just one square...

After seeing where the growth pattern is, I would have used some 10 grit carbide paper on the plastic...the rougher the surface the easier the initial the spores can attach.

The top where the plastic canvas goes into the spraybar, got scratched the most from fitting and re-fitting the screen...it has thick green algae on it and it is shaded alot of the time...

So in summary, go as rough as possible on the prep...I say...;)

1.9.1.jpg

SantaMonica

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Santa Monica, CA, USA
Results Of The Day:

Corinna on the AC site: "Think we should just call you Santa!! After 3 weeks my screen is forming wine red spots, the pods are having pod parties and making babies, the seahorses are noticeably gaining weight and the water is decidedly 'sparklier'.Thanks."

jfdelacruz on the RP site: "Overfeeding does wonders! i dont know how and why but, the ATS seems to be an extra 20 gallons for my tank because even if I overfeed, nothing in my tank seems to be going bad! water is always crystal clear too! (I do have seagel in there running for about 2 months already) this ATS is a blessing."

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store