Mega Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover - DIY!

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
I was concerned about the flow rate on mine being too high, as I'm using a 600gph pump with a 12" or so screen. I also do not have a prefilter, so the possibility of cloggage exists. I just built in a bypass, so if the water backs up more than 2" of water pressure behind the slot, it can still overflow into the sump. I'm still looking for my damn camera so I can post pics.

crazy clowntang

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 20, 2008
virginia
SantaMonica;2354588; said:
Many folks have been asking about the solar setup. Well that fellow is the success story of the day. "Bob the (reef)builder" on the MASA site originally set up this screen that I posted a few weeks ago:

Here are his updates:

9/21: Thank you for the input Santa monica, I will definately be doing this on an expanded basis. I think I will put a three ft tank in the sun and do what you've got on a slightly larger scale. Great simple fix to an ongoing problem by most aquarists.

9/28: The film is plastic and gets wet totally. Its 1m x 1m in size. The water input is also the stand. The strands run diagnally which makes the water flow very nicely. I'm happy with it and will let it stand in the sun. Hopefully get rid of the hair algae problem I have. You should see my actual tank to know why I jumped at this idea. The construction is so easy though. And if it works a quarter as well as Santa says it does, it will be like Christmas.

10/19: I changed this one as the upright design did not get enought sun. I put it on a 45degree angle and that was better:

10/25: It worked like a bomb. Phosphates down to 0.02 - 0.01 ppm (this is on a hanna meter and is very low). Normal test would just read undetectable. [Previously] the best I ever got it to trying every trick in the book including Zeo and Vodka, Lanthinum and many other phosphate removers was 0.03.

I am glad to see that it worked out for you. Can you tell the difference in the tank? Also is this for a saltwater setup? I see you mention hair algae, and usually that means that its a saltwater setup. I am correct?

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
I think if I was running a sensitive reef setup I'd really be cautious about setting it up outdoors and open like that. Airborne contaminants could get into your tank water and accumulate - especially if the scrubber allows you to operate on a reduced water change interval.

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Finally found the camera. Damn kids....

With my design you can see there is an overflow path if the slot backs up - this is because this is on the drain line from my tank into my sump. I'm not 100% happy with the fact that this is PRE-Mechanical filtration, so crap and corruption winds up on my screen. I'm trying to think of a pre-filter that will fit on my overflow, and/or a way to move this to the return to tank without having my tank lit all night. I'll just see if it works first.

I was pretty proud of myself when I thought of the spring clips (for holding flashlights and garden tools) to hold the piping in place. This way I can just undo the coupling where the hose joins the hard plumbing, and pull the whole unit out for cleaning. (yes I'm easily pleased ;))

SantaMonica

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Santa Monica, CA, USA
I was concerned about the flow rate on mine being too high, as I'm using a 600gph pump with a 12" or so screen.
You can alway add a ball valve. I'd do it anyways, because it's useful to fine tune any sideways spraying out of the pipe

I am glad to see that it worked out for you. Can you tell the difference in the tank? Also is this for a saltwater setup? I see you mention hair algae, and usually that means that its a saltwater setup. I am correct?
That screen/tank is from a guy in S. America. He has not reported details yet on appearance, just test readings. He did however say he built the screen because of a large nuisance algae outbreak. It is a reef tank.

so crap and corruption winds up on my screen.
I don't think anything will get on the screen. The flow is too high. If anything, pods are washed off the screen into your water. I don't recommend any mechanical filters at all because of this.

Nice setup though! I'll use your loop/overflow idea as an option for folks. Do you have a light on the other side?

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
SantaMonica;2359495; said:
You can alway add a ball valve. I'd do it anyways, because it's useful to fine tune any sideways spraying out of the pipe
Well unfortunately this is on the drain from my tank into my sump, so if I restrict the flow, the tank water level will rise until my sump runs dry and starves the pump. It works quite well with this flow rate. A Ball valve would be nice for cleaning though, I might get one anyway.

I don't think anything will get on the screen. The flow is too high. If anything, pods are washed off the screen into your water. I don't recommend any mechanical filters at all because of this.
Surprisingly enough, stuff does wind up on the screen, and stuck trying to get out between the slot and the screen. This is a F/W setup remember: No Pods - I'd rather run my water through some kind of mech filter to sift out the uneaten food particles that tend to cloud the water.

Nice setup though! I'll use your loop/overflow idea as an option for folks. Do you have a light on the other side?
Thanks! I decided to stick with one light to start out, mostly because the bulb cost me $15. If it works well for nitrates and I can work out the noise issue, I'll fab another light bracket and wire them together into a timer.

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Another nice thing about the overflow bypass for the filter is it allows somewhere for the air bubbles to go - being on the tank overflow there is quite a bit of entrained air you can see in the clear vinyl tubing. This air farts out the slot next to the screen and makes a racket as well as spraying water everywhere if the overflow is blocked.

Potts050

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Brantford Ontario Canada
cvermeulen;2359078; said:
Finally found the camera. Damn kids....

With my design you can see there is an overflow path if the slot backs up - this is because this is on the drain line from my tank into my sump. I'm not 100% happy with the fact that this is PRE-Mechanical filtration, so crap and corruption winds up on my screen. I'm trying to think of a pre-filter that will fit on my overflow, and/or a way to move this to the return to tank without having my tank lit all night. I'll just see if it works first.

I was pretty proud of myself when I thought of the spring clips (for holding flashlights and garden tools) to hold the piping in place. This way I can just undo the coupling where the hose joins the hard plumbing, and pull the whole unit out for cleaning. (yes I'm easily pleased ;))

How hot does that bulb get? Any risk of starting a fire under your tank stand?

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Potts050;2359788; said:
How hot does that bulb get? Any risk of starting a fire under your tank stand?
It's only a 23W CF bulb. It looks like it's brighter than the sun, but it's only ever warm to the touch, not hot.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store