Mega Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover - DIY!

SantaMonica

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Santa Monica, CA, USA
Result Of The Day:

"garypower" on the UR site: "i was on one of the first couple of pages on this thread and decided like others to give it a go! my screen is now 2 months on, and its there as predicted, full of algea turf deep red brown colour and having to start using a blade to make space! my tank parems have gone to non-detectable po4 and zero nitrates! the tank in appearance looks like polished water yet i dont run carbon! my skimmer is now only running one hour every four hours with my ozone unit on a timer, i have a much better growth rate with my corals, there is less build up of algea on the glass i only use a magfloat once a week to clear very faint dusting of algea."

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Day 14 for me I think.

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
You can see the bright green stuff is starting to grow in the 'bald spot'. I've been turning off the lights at night, and yesterday I scrubbed all the algae off the glass in the tank (hopefully it was beginning to starve anyway). I also stuck a piece of java moss to the screen for fun, just stuck it there and it stayed, so maybe it will win the deathmatch for food with the algae and I'll have a nice Java moss screen instead!

Edit: o yeah you can also see the little tufts that have started to form. I dunno if this is FW turf algae or what.

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
zennzzo;2406045; said:
Couple of oddities...

the Algae is receding...
Is that last pic the algae on the bottom of your pond?

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
zennzzo;2406113; said:
Yeah it is...3 days ago it was totally covered...
like Magic it is disappearing...
ohhhhhh I was so confused. I thought you were talking about the algae on your scrubber receding :p.

That's cool, almost make me wish I'd been patient and le tthe algae in my tank go the same way. Maybe it won't come back

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Mile High in Northern AZ, baby!~
cvermeulen;2406132; said:
ohhhhhh I was so confused. I thought you were talking about the algae on your scrubber receding :p.

That's cool, almost make me wish I'd been patient and le tthe algae in my tank go the same way. Maybe it won't come back
I'm hoping this doesn't either...And this pond is in direct sunlight too...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store