Mega Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover - DIY!

the_deeb

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
NYC
nolapete;3649196; said:
What you're referring to in Aquaponics. That's an entirely different, but viable solution. One that I'll be exploring along with the algae scrubber I intend to build on my 4300 gallon tank when it's done.
Yes, aquaponics is what I'm talking about. On your monster tank I think it would be most feasible if you could make use of natural sunlight as light source. What exactly do you mean when you say "entirely different"? I realize the physical implementation of the two systems is different, but isn't the general principle of nitrogen/phosphorous consumption by photosynthetic organisms the same?

In that regard, if you had both an aquaponics system + an algae scrubber wouldn't they be directly competing for the same nutrients?

As a related question, would putting an algae scrubber on a low-tech planted tank be detrimental to the plants?

Noto

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2008
The South
the_deeb;3650491; said:
Interesting. This is probably largely irrelevant to the current discussion, but wouldn't this would imply that since phagomixotrophic algae could acquire nitrogen by phagocytosing other organisms rather than just consuming ammonia/nitrite/nitrate they may actually be less useful in the context of algae scrubbers (since the goal of a scubber is really only to reduce free sources of nitrogen - we generally don't care about the nitrogen that has already been incorporated into bacteria etc.)?
Phagocytosis is generally looked at as a way to import carbon rather than nitrogen, so phagomixotrophs could be effective at consuming N in CO2-limited environments where other algae might be more constrained. I have no idea how this would play out in the context of a scrubber, I just thought it was interesting.

With regards to freshwater systems, eutrophic systems (which is basically what a heavily-stocked aquarium is) tend to have high levels of both plants and algae. The more consistent the nutrient level is, the larger the plant portion. Boom-and-bust type systems often have more algae. Algae are also better-suited to high-flow and pelagic systems, and so tend to outnumber plants in those environments.

Algae biomass tracks closely to nutrient levels, so algae is better able to respond to sudden abnormal nutrient influxes (such as, say, a fish die-off, or Junior dumping a bunch of fish food in the tank) while plants are more persistent and so are ready to uptake nutrients after a long period of low nutrient levels, when algae populations may have crashed. So, there are possible benefits to using both plants and algae in a filtration system.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
the_deeb;3650580; said:
Yes, aquaponics is what I'm talking about. On your monster tank I think it would be most feasible if you could make use of natural sunlight as light source. What exactly do you mean when you say "entirely different"? I realize the physical implementation of the two systems is different, but isn't the general principle of nitrogen/phosphorous consumption by photosynthetic organisms the same?

In that regard, if you had both an aquaponics system + an algae scrubber wouldn't they be directly competing for the same nutrients?

As a related question, would putting an algae scrubber on a low-tech planted tank be detrimental to the plants?
Replied here: Aquaponics vs. Planted vs. Scrubber as to not derail this thread further...

SantaMonica

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Santa Monica, CA, USA
let's avoid poopooing ideas unless we have a sound reason for it
Well my reasoning is always, always, watching what is working for many other people. Who cares if it works for me or not. After I've seen something work for 4 out of 5 people, I recommend it. That's the whole purpose of posting on different forums.

If we learn WHY it works, we may be able to do it better
The why is gotten into more at the scrubber site. For MFK and other site, it has to be kept simple and almost guaranteed, so that anyone can DIY it.

would putting an algae scrubber on a low-tech planted tank be detrimental to the plants?
It has been tried. As long as the scrubber isn't too powerful, both do OK. Remember that a scrubber is self-adjusting: As nutrients get lower, it grows less. Also, you can easily adjust it with wattage/hours changes.

Ali1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
So I been doing lots of homework about the algae scrubbers and i like the idea and would like to attempt the project, but i need your help.

1) the most I know about plumbing is simply creating a PVC overflow by connecting elbows and straight PVC pipes.

2) the algae turf scrubber needs to be below my fish tank as the tank is a display in the living room/

My thought was to have a PVC overflow that drains into a sump(smaller tank about 30G) and there's a pump in the sump that returns the water back to the display tank. Couldn't I just attach the waterfall/screen feature to the overflow when it drains into the sump and that's it? Of course Ill attach lights to both sides of the screen. Please help me out guys!

Thanks in advance!!!

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
been reading this thread and i think im gonna finally attempt this! i plan on having the scrubber tank below my 400g tank but above my sump, somehere in the middle. i will pump the water out of my sump, over the screen, and let it flow back down into the sump.

now i know this has been mentioned already, but this thread has gotten so long its impossible to find the info! are there any local craft/home improvement stores where i can get the plastic screen? or do i need to order this online?

thx!

bomber

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2007
the Office living in the now...
x2:grinno:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store