Metal Monster 650 is it possible? in progress!

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Need some responses on the liner before i go ahead and destroy my basement with the wrong decision lol. Do i need to bolt through the acrylic and pond liner with silicone to seal the front window. Or can i just silicone the front window in place and forget about it.

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
Bolting will give you the most security and confidence it will work. Silicone doesn't really bond that strongly to either pond liner OR acrylic, so its really just acting as a gasket between them. Or you can bolt the acrylic to the frame so that it is tight enough against the pond liner that you don't even need silicone.

Honestly I think the best bet is to use bolts, but it is completely up to you.

The1and only

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2008
San Diego
If you go to the salt forum and look under sharks and rays section there is a guy who built a 600 shark tank with a pond liner and acrylic that worked he could probably help you, or send a PM to Satans Goldfish he just tore down a liner with viewing window tank. Mr. Goldfish has some good knowledge on what will work and not.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Final Decision - Gold Label Pond Aquarium sealer with NO BOLTS. I'm holding you to this one SatansGoldfish! It seems like this is going to be a great product and it can even be applied underwater if my liner rips. It adhears to Metal,Plastic,Masonry,Glass,Marble and Granite and of course EPDM. I ordered 12 tubes for around $200 so hopefully this is enough to cover my front window. Playing the waiting game now for shipping. Will post pics sometime this week of the tank up on a stand.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
You don't need bolts.

You need hard rubber gasket material. Check a rubber supply house.

You bond the gasket material to the pond liner with rubber cement.

You bond the glass/acrylic to the hard rubber with Dow 795.

Brace with 2x4's

Test fill the tank after giving the Dow 795 72 hours to cure.

If no water gets past your seal, you cut out the pond liner in front of the acrylic.

Done.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Already cut out the liner, Probably a bad idea but I figured I had to do it sooner or later. Thanks for the info on the rubber gasket Pete. I wish i would have read your post before ordering all the Gold Label. Man, this debate never ends.....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store