Moose on the Loose

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Okay, pics...

The aviary groups locally call them "Pickers" for some reason. Here's a shot with one and a squirrel:

View attachment 1543200
Lol, are you sure you are hearing them correctly? That "Picker"...is a Flicker! It's a migratory woodpecker, spends a lot of time on the ground eating ants.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
My neighbour has a metal fireplace stack on his roof, makes a perfect resonating drum sound, that one particular male Flicker uses to attract the lady birds. Usually starts before 6 AM, I’ve been up for a couple of hours by then, my elderly neighbours not so much. I can hear it clearly from inside, can‘t imagine what it sounds like inside their house. lol One morning, the male drummed so well that he had two female Flickers on his drum with him.

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Lol, are you sure you are hearing them correctly? That "Picker"...is a Flicker! It's a migratory woodpecker, spends a lot of time on the ground eating ants.
You know that makes sense because they would hop across the grass and "pick" but I never saw them with worms!

Reactions: jjohnwm

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
And that's not a woodchuck; it's a groundhog. :lol3::naughty:
Did some research! Guess I'm British now...

Groundhogs and woodchucks are actually two names for the same animal. They both belong to the species Marmota monax, which is a type of large ground squirrel. The difference in names likely comes from different etymologies from around the world. Here are some interesting facts about these creatures:

1. Common Names:
  2. Appearance:
  3. Hibernation:
  4. Geographical Distribution:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store