my best friend pacu

blacktarotannis

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2010
Deltona, Fl
www.youtube.com
Hey at least he has it in a bigger tank then when it first started.... The gill thing doesn't look normal... Then again I know nothing about this fish. Maybe have it checked out?

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Our rescued pacu came in a 55 gallon tank along with four Oscar and two plecos. It was literally wall to wall fish in that tank. Our two pacu are a 300 gallon tank, which is too small. We are upgrading to a 1700 gallon tank with 405 gallon sump. Pacu can live 30+ years under the right conditions. I belonged to a pacu forum, and everyone's pacu kept in 75 gallon tanks or smaller died in about two years. The pacu forum also died when most of the members no longer had pacu. Even the moderators' pacu died.

Worms are not the best thing to feed your pacu. Pacu do good on a quality pellet supplemented with veggies and fruit. If you want your pacu to survive, you need to maintain excellent water parameters at all times. This can only be achieved by routine water testing. Keep your nitrates below 20ppm. To achieve this, you will probably have to do large massive water changes on a daily basis on your small tank. We currently change out 300-400 gallons a week.

pacubuddy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2010
sweet home oregon
wow this is a awsome site so many replies in ine night, i know i realy need a bigger tank but they cost a lot and i realy dont want to get rid of him because i realy do love this fish he is defently a part of my famliey, but i clean the tank with at lest a 50% water change every week because its such a small tank and every time i check the water and add all the chemicals he likes, but i allways thaught that gill thing was just old age ya know like it just grows as he grows but if you guys say i need to take care of it i will. and i allso didnt know its not good to feed him worm. i dont do it often but when i do he loves it. i usely feed him 85% large pallet that i buy special for him though my fish store. i feel realy bad for having him in such a small tank and i wish i could get him a bigger one but its out of my cost range. maby i should start saving up to make my own fish tank because they cant be that hard, idk all i know is i love this pacu. lol i reamber i use to try and get hm tank mate because sometimes i think he gets lonely but he allways eats evertything i put inthere and i kepp him fed but he still eats um. o well right, but thank all of u for your comments. it helps a lot

pacubuddy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2010
sweet home oregon
hey i was looking though my computer and i found these pics. its from the first day i brought pacu home, in that 35g tank. lol look at how small he was, this was allmost 3 years ago

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
pacubuddy;4317730; said:
wow this is a awsome site so many replies in ine night, i know i realy need a bigger tank but they cost a lot and i realy dont want to get rid of him because i realy do love this fish he is defently a part of my famliey, but i clean the tank with at lest a 50% water change every week because its such a small tank and every time i check the water and add all the chemicals he likes, but i allways thaught that gill thing was just old age ya know like it just grows as he grows but if you guys say i need to take care of it i will. and i allso didnt know its not good to feed him worm. i dont do it often but when i do he loves it. i usely feed him 85% large pallet that i buy special for him though my fish store. i feel realy bad for having him in such a small tank and i wish i could get him a bigger one but its out of my cost range. maby i should start saving up to make my own fish tank because they cant be that hard, idk all i know is i love this pacu. lol i reamber i use to try and get hm tank mate because sometimes i think he gets lonely but he allways eats evertything i put inthere and i kepp him fed but he still eats um. o well right, but thank all of u for your comments. it helps a lot
If you really care about your pacu's health, then you'll do the best you can to get rid of it, because believe me, it will not last long in that tank. If you want to keep it, then you are going to need at least a 450 gallon tank to keep it healthy for the rest of its life. If you can't afford a bigger tank and can't (not won't) get rid of it, then just do the best you can to keep it healthy: buy the largest tank you can possibly afford, and try to keep its water clean.

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
White Moth;4316228; said:
I don't have any experience with these guys, but what is that stuff that looks like it is hanging out of its gill cover?
Deep Blue Sea;4316234; said:
Didnt notice that till you mentioned it, could be gill curl
It isn't gill curl. Every large pacu that I have ever encountered (including my own) has had this. The gill cover itself is fine (as are the gills), it seems to just be extra skin that hangs off the gill covers. Like I said, I have yet to see one over 12" that doesn't have this.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store