my best friend pacu

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
This is such BS. I've got to take a break from MFK before I make a cardboard sign and stand in front of pet stores boycotting pacu sales. This kind of sadistic smut shouldn't even be on here. Who wants to see a kitten locked in a strawberry basket? Nobody. So why in the world do I have to keep seeing Pacu living in tiny puddles? I don't, and that's that.

wow

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 14, 2008
sweden
if you cant afford a tank over 100 gallon, then you cant afford to own that fish. That fish are going to need a massive tank with a bad ass filter and that's not cheap.

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
wow;4318324; said:
if you cant afford a tank over 100 gallon, then you cant afford to own that fish. That fish are going to need a massive tank with a bad ass filter and that's not cheap.
While I do agree with you, I know from experience that when the fish in question is a pacu (especially a red belly), there really isn't much that can be done to help it if you can't afford a larger tank. Also, "over 100 gallons" is too general, my tank is 225 gallons and eventually will not be nearly enough for my pacu. A better way to put it would be "at least 450 gallons" because imo this is the minimum size to properly house a pacu.

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
Probably the Poly section
dude that tank is way too small. get one that is well over 450. we are getting rid of my pacu for the same reason. they are cool fish yes. but start with some silver dollars. he will die i, and im sure most others here can agree with me on this, can guaruntee it. not to be rude but that is just the realaity of the situation. i will agree with the previous post about banning or limiting pacu sales. they should have to inspect your tank before you buy the fish...

pacubuddy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2010
sweet home oregon
wow you guys need to understand whats going on here thats the living conditon it was in when i got the fish and i baught a biger tank and it is very happy. i know its to small and im working on geting it a biger tank. i clean it very good every week. and knifegill needs to clam his ass down because he doesnt even know what he is talking about. i care for this fish the best i can. even with the tank that is to small. and he is very healty with good filters and heaters and fed very well. so in my opinon he is taken care of better than a lot of these other fish i see like gold fish and crap that are stuck in .5gal tank with no air or anyhting and die. or other fish that the owners never clean there tank and it smeel like crap. my pacu is in prime waters and very healty.

im not saying i dont need a biger tank. he does. and im gatering the materals to build a biger tank as we speak. but he is in a lot better condition than he was in before i got him, the owner before me was to scared of pacu to even clean his tank

nomad

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2008
Colorado
in the present condition the proper description of this scenario is Animal Cruelty...you can say whatever you want .
If you don't have the cash I don't see how you'll be able to buy/built a 450 gallon setup required to keep this fish for life...and I'm talking filtration, heating etc.
So if you care about the fish as you pretend you do find someone who has the means or come up with the proper setup FAST.

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
Probably the Poly section
well as long as you understand the scenario i guess you will be ok for a while. sorry ifnit seems negative

Darth Scohin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2009
Mountain Valley, Near Flats
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store