My Channa from India and Rest of the World

Tabby7

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2012
London/Bangalore
Only a German guy has bred them before me and published his report. His adults are around 10'' I guess and that's how big they should get more or less.

I was really surprised as mine have bred at 5 inches a couple of weeks back and the parents and the fry are growing together steadily!

chronick

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2009
Canada
Only a German guy has bred them before me and published his report. His adults are around 10'' I guess and that's how big they should get more or less.

I was really surprised as mine have bred at 5 inches a couple of weeks back and the parents and the fry are growing together steadily!
hmm... are you sure they aren't a malaysian gachua? I've got a couple under the name of black rimmed gachuas and they've stayed around 6 inches for a while now. They have nearly identical patterns with your supposed firebacks. I've always thought that firebacks have a really prominent and thick orange trim on the dorsal.

Tabby7

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2012
London/Bangalore
Well, initially, when I got them I contemplated on the same lines. I've seen the Malaysian Black Rimmed gachua adults in flesh. Can tell the difference between both species by the head and the elongated body structure. Mine are different, they're growing furiously fast and the thick bright orange rim on the dorsal is becoming prominent day by day and as far as I know, the very bright orange dorsal tip on firebacks is seen when they're quite big after they push 6 inch maybe and very obvious on the males.

I suspect the strong camera flashlight is the culprit for similarity else time will tell if these turn out otherwise or maybe some Channa which is neither both!

zafar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2012
Mumbai, India
Hi Tabby,

This is Zafar from Mumbai.
I have seen your awesome collection.
I want a Channa Barca and some other Channa varieties.
Where can i get it.
Hope for a kind response.

Cheers

Tabby7

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2012
London/Bangalore
Thanks Zafar and Andrew.

Tabby7

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2012
London/Bangalore
Hi Guys

Just a few more pictures from some of my Non-Indian Channa

Channa striata 'Albino'

Parachanna obscura, the African Snakehead

Channa lucius in excellent camouflage

Channa pulchra F1 fry

Channa harcourtbutleri

Channa ornatipinnis

Channa pleurophthalma

Channa sp. Mimetic pulchra

Channa sp. Redfin/Red Rim Rainbow male

Channa pulchra male

Channa asiatica

I'll keep updating this thread with time, enjoy! :)

Cheers
Tabby

peterek

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2010
London-UK
Hello Tabby:)
I really like your sp.mimetic pulchra.
What temperature do you keep them and how big they grow?
Wonderful collection:D

Tabby7

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2012
London/Bangalore
Hi Peter

Thanks for the appreciation.

My mimetic pulchra are kept at about 18-24 degrees. Should grow to 7'' atleast. Mine are about 6'', I had a pair forming recently and they bred in March, the fry are doing great at the moment! :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store