New Setup New Start

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
IMG_0034.jpegIMG_0026.jpegIMG_0034.jpeg
I have come to the conclusion boring old guppies are actually a very cool and relaxing fish to keep.
They were meant to be just something start the tank off until I picked the main fish but I am enjoying them much more than I thought. As jjohnwm jjohnwm saida out his goldfish, they are peaceful, colourful and active. I am not worrying about cichlids brawling or stressing too much about water conditions and diet. Just enjoying watching them swim around and pump out babies.
Sometimes the simple things are often the best.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Has anyone ever kept shrimp and guppies together?
I saw some red cherry shrimp and thought they might be a nice addition, iam wondering if the guppies would hassle them to death or eat them and if the shrimp would possibly end up eating the guppies during the night?

I don’t want to spoil the tranquility of this peaceful setup just yet………..

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

SilverArowanaBoi

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Has anyone ever kept shrimp and guppies together?
I saw some red cherry shrimp and thought they might be a nice addition, iam wondering if the guppies would hassle them to death or eat them and if the shrimp would possibly end up eating the guppies during the night?

I don’t want to spoil the tranquility of this peaceful setup just yet………..
The shrimp and guppies should be fine together. While I've never personally kept this combination, I've seen many people do it successfully (they even have this combo at the LFS). The shrimp wouldn't eat the guppies at night unless they were dead, and I don't think the guppies could physically eat adult shrimp, although they may be able to eat babies. Also, if everybody is well-fed, there shouldn't be harassment from either party.

I hope this helps!

Reactions: Ogertron3000

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
The shrimp and guppies should be fine together. While I've never personally kept this combination, I've seen many people do it successfully (they even have this combo at the LFS). The shrimp wouldn't eat the guppies at night unless they were dead, and I don't think the guppies could physically eat adult shrimp, although they may be able to eat babies. Also, if everybody is well-fed, there shouldn't be harassment from either party.

I hope this helps!
Im getting mixed reports online, I might have to do a bit of research but i reckon it will be fine if i use a smaller type of shrimp.
I ned to do a bit more research as i dont know anything about shrimp, this tank has gone in a direction i didnt think it would......

RyanScanner

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2024
Western Australia
In the spirit of "everything has been free so far". If it were me....being a very anal biotope-junkie
I'd line the back wall of the tank with (what I consider your beautiful) java fern
And collect small endemic Australian native fish, like local rainbows, gobies, or grunters, and if possible later on, add native Australian water plants and do an Australian biotope.

I realize collecting is far from free, because I collect @ twice per month in Panama, and here a couple hour day trip to a river runs over $100.
But I find a certain satisfaction in collecting my own fish, and a connection that I didn't get from simply buying them at a store,
View attachment 1542341
Where abouts in Australia did you collect.

RyanScanner

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2024
Western Australia
Im getting mixed reports online, I might have to do a bit of research but i reckon it will be fine if i use a smaller type of shrimp.
I ned to do a bit more research as i dont know anything about shrimp, this tank has gone in a direction i didnt think it would......
I’ve kept amano shrimp and feeder guppies for my Oscars but they will pick on the shrimp fry. If you have shrimp watch out for fertz with copper or any metals, I overdosed for a weekend away one time and all my shrimp were dead except 4.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Where abouts in Australia did you collect.
I haven’t caught anything personally, duanes duanes is on an Island near Panama living some kind of castaway dream life. You should check out his threads about his fishing trips, they are very interesting

I’ve kept amano shrimp and feeder guppies for my Oscars but they will pick on the shrimp fry. If you have shrimp watch out for fertz with copper or any metals, I overdosed for a weekend away one time and all my shrimp were dead except 4.
this is good info thanks, from a bit of reading it seems like they prefer a more established tank with bit of algae already growing. My tank is still pretty fresh so maybe I should wait for a few months. I think with the decor I have there’s a lot of hiding places so hopefully enough shrimp fry should survive.
Do you know if they eat Blackbeard algae?

RyanScanner

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2024
Western Australia
I haven’t caught anything personally, duanes duanes is on an Island near Panama living some kind of castaway dream life. You should check out his threads about his fishing trips, they are very interesting

this is good info thanks, from a bit of reading it seems like they prefer a more established tank with bit of algae already growing. My tank is still pretty fresh so maybe I should wait for a few months. I think with the decor I have there’s a lot of hiding places so hopefully enough shrimp fry should survive.
Do you know if they eat Blackbeard algae?
I thought he said he was in Australia, the shrimp will trim it not completely get rid of it, only thing that they won’t touch is that f’ing green string algae that clogs my mosses.

Reactions: Ogertron3000

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
I havent done much with this tank, just add some more guppies as i find cool looking ones, i have discovered if you pay attention to the "mixed male guppy" tanks in the shop you quite often see a lone fancy strain one in there that you can buy cheap. Some shops say "no picking" but most dont care.
The tank currently has 7 male, approx 20 females and an uncountable number of fry along with 2 mystery smails. I am surprised the fry grow so slowly, i expected them to reach maturity in a few weeks for some reason.
I am enjoying it a lot more than expected, a peaceful low stress tank is underrated.

Now the inevitable is happening and i am thinking what else to put in there, i will certainly get some cories but not sure what else. A LFS guy noticed me looking at some convicts and said they will eat the guppy fry but wont harm the adults as they wont see them as a threat but im not convinced.
The other thing is the multispinosa rainbow cichlids i originally wantred are now everywhere and cheap but i am a bit attached to my guppy collection and dont want to see them munched which would rule out any type of cichlid tank mate i guess?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store