Official Off Topic Discussion Thread #1

imabot

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2017
Hello; Yes of course but a pointed question is why these classes are needed. The need is because of a very large number of children in the country who do are not fluent enough in English. That the numbers are great enough for the need to exist it the telling point.
These classes are needed in order to teach them english. We cannot just put them in a grade/age level english class if they do not know basic english, it's like putting someone who can just do the doggy paddle in the 24 ft. deep end of the pool. It's simply more efficient to put them in a separate class and better for their learning. It's hard enough for them, why makes unnecessarily harder? I am not sure what you mean by "the telling point".

I have dumped a great many things since they gone wacko, anti trump anti American values etc, I no longer listen or read their stuff because they have alienated me and my values
Sounds like a echo chamber to me.

Reactions: J. H.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
These classes are needed in order to teach them english. We cannot just put them in a grade/age level english class if they do not know basic english, it's like putting someone who can just do the doggy paddle in the 24 ft. deep end of the pool. It's simply more efficient to put them in a separate class and better for their learning. It's hard enough for them, why makes unnecessarily harder? I am not sure what you mean by "the telling point".

Sounds like a echo chamber to me.
And what of the American children in the class ? Isn't it a total waste of time ? Those kids should have learned the language from their parents or on their time. If their parents were required to learn our language when they 1st arrived this would not have been an issue.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
You can imagine what it's like here in southern California. FREE ESL classes, at lots of the schools.
Not an American so just wondering, isn't this a good thing. If the parents are unable or unwilling to learn or teach their kids english then if they get the chance to learn English for free at school the kids are more likely to be assimilated and productive citizens when they are of employment age?
Not sure why this is viewed as a bad thing, but as stated I'm not in the U.S so genuinely wondering.

Reactions: J. H.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
.....just got off work and I'll be hitting a few fish shops this morning...anybody need anything?:D

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I am not sure what you mean by "the telling point".
Hello; the point being that there are so many who need this service. It is my understanding that in some places the sheer numbers are straining local school resources.

And what of the American children in the class ? Isn't it a total waste of time ? Those kids should have learned the language from their parents or on their time. If their parents were required to learn our language when they 1st arrived this would not have been an issue.
Hello; Yes it appears that for some time, maybe decades, a lot of people in the country (USA in my case) who do not try to learn English.
Also one other point it is reported that in very recent time there are somewhere around 30,000 alien children who crossed into the USA on their own.

If the parents are unable or unwilling to learn or teach their kids english then if they get the chance to learn English for free at school the kids are more likely to be assimilated and productive citizens when they are of employment age?
hello; Your comment makes sense up to a point. Had we as a people of this country been given the opportunity to decide that we wanted to take in all these illegal aliens then what you describe would be part of the deal. However the estimated 30,000,000 illegal aliens just sneaked in for the most part.

An item that need some expansion. One being that many of these children are not citizens and unless some laws are changed will not be citizens in the future. The "Dreamers" fit in this category.

Not sure why this is viewed as a bad thing,
Hello; On the face of it, it is not a bad thing. I guess being a part of the whole illegal alien problem is one way these English classes are considered bad. Maybe the single worse part of the classes being the burden of the expense on some school districts. I know some talking heads like to say things like the USA is "the richest most powerful country in the world". Well things may be real good for all the 1% and maybe down to the top 3 to 5% of wealthy people but the other 95% often struggle.

Reactions: jaws7777
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store