"orange" uaru ??

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
I had the same F1 fry that Jeff was selling last year. They came to me at 1" in size. Like Jeff, I immediately noticed a difference in them compared to regular amphiacanthoides. They had a different pattern and they started to show orange chests at about 2".

Uaru range in color from gray to bronze/brown, but the orange Uaru have a very distinct orange chest. You can see it in my juvies here:

The ones in your picture appear to be regular amphiacanthoides.

Also, like several have pointed out, Uaru are a shoaling fish and do best in groups of 4 - 6. Yours probably hang together because they feel safer in the presence of other Uaru.

Sarah88

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2009
Wilmington, NC
yeah seems like others have said that they are just regular uaru with nice coloring, but yeah i definitely think they are stunted not just by the eyes but also by that notch in the ones back looks like it grew weird, but now that they have a good place to live they should start to get better and possibly grow a little bit depending on how long the other person had them, as for the heater i had a brand new heater bust and burn out and had to frikin look for pieces of glass in my tank and couldnt think why and then i saw that the plastic clips i had on it weren't in the right place, i guess i hadnt paid attention and put one lower than the mark line at the top and this caused it to burn out, probably not what happened in your case but just an idea

Snowflake311

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2010
Lake Tahoe, ca
The heater thing was crazy. It was one of the new marineland Stealth– Pro Shatterproof heaters. I have the old kind of this heater in all my tanks with no problems for years. Then The first one I got the top popped off it stop working. So I return it get a new one and it explodes 12 hr after being added. I retuned it and the petstore people were shocked to see it. I should have taken a photo.

Anyways thanks guys for the help. I'm slowly starting to see the differance in the orange uaru now because of some great photos some of you posted. Thanks for clearing that up for me guys.

Ps the owners said they had them for a few months like 6 months I think. I know where they bought them at thus weird petstore were the fish are also not kept in the best conditions. Oh well they have clean water now. I'm getting some Gulfstream Wound-Ease to try help the holes heal then I also ordered Boyd Vita-Chem because I read HITH has been linked to lack of vitamins Then the new heater to keep them warmer. right now they are in 76f that's all this stupid heater can do it's for a 50watt too small for this 20 gal.

DaveB

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Miami
Bumping this thread - how bout an update on their condition?

I bought 6 Uaru fry labeled as "orange" by the guy from Toronto that gets them from what I was told was the same source as everyone else. Mine are over 5" now and they're not showing any red or orange at all. In fact, I'm starting to have a hard time picking my original non-orange Amphiacanthoides out from the group.

That's very interesting about the lack of continuation in the black, though - they DO have that difference.

Color-wise, they're the same though in every other area. And the original one took to the others immediately. I got them cheap enough that I don't care if they're not oranges. I like them anyway. Would be nice to know for sure though.

(photos: 1 - as babies, 2 - today, 3 - the original one 2 years ago, 4- a youth and the top of the original in March)

DSCN2197.JPG

DSCN2001.JPG

FILE0011.JPG

Snowflake311

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2010
Lake Tahoe, ca
Well they are doing great and the Hith is about 80% better and still healing up fast.

They have a lot more Blue color to them now. I don't think mine are the Orange kind. I tried to get some photo but it was hard the lighting was just not right.

these photos were taken without a Flash

this is with a flsh.

Sorry for the bad photos but you can see what color they are.

jag123

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 16, 2008
Ohio
WOW - what an improvement with the HITH. Good job outta you!

DaveB

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Miami
Great work!

Are those live plants? Or just really good fake ones? (If fake, what kind? I'd love to get some nice bright realistic looking swords.)

Snowflake311

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2010
Lake Tahoe, ca
Thanks I switched to all fake plants. They are the kind they sell at petco.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store