"orange" uaru ??

Snowflake311

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2010
Lake Tahoe, ca
vaine111;4226262; said:
The word orange in their common name refers to their eye color;)
No I don't think so. If you look at some of the photo other posted of there "orange" uaru they have an orange chest and more of an all over orange color. The "orange" uaru is said to be a differant fish from the common one maybe more a differant strain from another area of the amazon.

vaine111

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2009
Metro-Detroit
Urau fernandezyepezi have red eyes and Uaru amphiacanthoides have orange eyes.
Their body color has nothing to do with their common name. Most if all sites that refer to their body color will not list orange in it and state that it is silvery, dark brown, or grey-slate grey. Don't get me wrong I would say that they have an orange base color also but that is not where the common name derives from.
Your Uraru are Uaru amphiacanthoides.

CTU2fan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Port Orange, FL
They are looking nice, good save, and looks like you'll be rewarded with some quality fish. I got mine similarly beat up at around 5" and sold it around 10" and thick...wish I'd kept it, great fish.

As for whether they're the orange ones...they look like normal Uaru a. to me. Nice ones though, the blue color is coming in nicely.

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
Actually, Uaru amphiacanthoides can have either red or orange eyes. In fact, in decades past it was thought to be how to sex them.

sp. "orange" doesn't refer to the eyes, but the orange chest area clearly seen at the top of page 2 with Ryan's fish.

OP - They are looking good, nice job saving and recovering them. Also, your jewel is so bright, when I was doing a quick scroll to reach the new posts, I thought you had a saltwater flame angelfish in with them!!

Snowflake311

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2010
Lake Tahoe, ca
darth pike;4227116; said:
Actually, Uaru amphiacanthoides can have either red or orange eyes. In fact, in decades past it was thought to be how to sex them.

sp. "orange" doesn't refer to the eyes, but the orange chest area clearly seen at the top of page 2 with Ryan's fish.

OP - They are looking good, nice job saving and recovering them. Also, your jewel is so bright, when I was doing a quick scroll to reach the new posts, I thought you had a saltwater flame angelfish in with them!!
Thanks for clearing that up for me. But the photos of the uaru with the Jewel is not mine. Those are Daves and they look a heck of a lot better then my mine.

Yes the Blue is getting really bright on mine. They almost have an all green head its very cool. They are even getting a green/blue tint to the body. I think its because I feed them mostly plants and Veggie flakes. I am starting to wonder if the fins will ever fully heal. But the HITH is almost all healed. I will post a photo of them in a month or so once the HITH is 100 % healed.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Snowflake311;4227722; said:
Thanks for clearing that up for me. But the photos of the uaru with the Jewel is not mine. Those are Daves and they look a heck of a lot better then my mine.

Yes the Blue is getting really bright on mine. They almost have an all green head its very cool. They are even getting a green/blue tint to the body. I think its because I feed them mostly plants and Veggie flakes. I am starting to wonder if the fins will ever fully heal. But the HITH is almost all healed. I will post a photo of them in a month or so once the HITH is 100 % healed.
DP is 100% right. As far as the blue goes, my male has nearly a blue mask, the female not at all. I think it depends on the indevidual. One thing that has always peaked my interest with this species is the random irridecent (white/blue/green shimmering spots) patches of color. I have no clue the cause or purpose behind it. Good stuff, keep us updated... ;)

Snowflake311

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2010
Lake Tahoe, ca
JK47;4227816; said:
DP is 100% right. As far as the blue goes, my male has nearly a blue mask, the female not at all. I think it depends on the indevidual. One thing that has always peaked my interest with this species is the random irridecent (white/blue/green shimmering spots) patches of color. I have no clue the cause or purpose behind it. Good stuff, keep us updated... ;)

yeah in the black spot I can see some blue specks. is that what you are talking about. They might look drab to people at first but if you really look at them they are very pretty.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Snowflake311;4227938; said:
yeah in the black spot I can see some blue specks. is that what you are talking about. They might look drab to people at first but if you really look at them they are very pretty.
My male has the patches and a few spots, the female only a couple spots. I just snapped a few pics for you that zoom in really big if you want to compare to yours.

Dark pic from the back of the tank but the patches are on the caudal, right behind the pectoral and the largest just above the anal fin. The oposing side has no patches.

Uaru 01.JPG

You can see the "blue-ish" mask I was talking about that run all along the length of the body just under the dorsal.

Uaru 02.JPG

Uaru 03.JPG

Next to one another for comparison.

Uaru 04.JPG

Snowflake311

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2010
Lake Tahoe, ca
Very nice looking fish. So do you know for sure you have a male and female? And you said the one with more green is male? Have you seen them spawn?

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Snowflake311;4228183; said:
Very nice looking fish. So do you know for sure you have a male and female? And you said the one with more green is male? Have you seen them spawn?
90% sure on sex, yes the one with the patches is the male and no spawn yet. I pulled out all of the rocks from the tank temporarily to avoid any more fry. I don't have any extra fry tanks ATM since my last geo abalios spawn.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store