"orange" uaru ??

vaine111

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2009
Metro-Detroit
Their common name refers to the eye color. Urau fernandezyepezi do not get orange eyes and that is the sole reason why Uaru amphiacanthoides are refered as "orange" Uaru. Uaru amphiacanthoides has several different common names, including Chocolate cichlid, Triangle cichlid, and Waroo where as Urau fernandezyepezi has one which is the Panda Uaru. Maybe they wanted to get it down to one common name who knows. There are many specimens of Uaru amphiacanthoides that have absolutely no orange body color and in many cases it is refered to as a pink color.
Females were thought to have red eyes and it was also thought that the eyes get brighter right before they are ready to spawn, but after so many males also had the red eyes that theory is not used anymore.
Even the OP was second guessing the fact that they might not be "orange" Urau.
Snowflake311;4223144; said:
They have a lot more Blue color to them now. I don't think mine are the Orange kind. I tried to get some photo but it was hard the lighting was just not right.
Either way good job on the HITH. They look much better now!

Jimmy Side eye

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2008
Birmingham(England)

peathenster

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2008
Georgia, US
guys, check this out http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=2739

vaine111;4228448; said:
Their common name refers to the eye color
I'd think if it's their eye color, they might have called it Uaru "orange eye". And one might argue that it's a not a more desirable trait compared to the red eye color - why would they want to emphasize it?

On the other hand, juvie Uaru "orange" clearly have a more orange coloration overall, and several adult pics show more orange than any U. amp., including the link above.

I have no basis for judgment....really just speculations here.

EDIT: just read your earlier post again. I don't think people are talking about common names for U. amphiacanthoides vs. U. fernandezyepezi here. It's the standard U. amphiacanthoides vs. what people calls U. "orange".

moonstruckmuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2007
NJ
Very interesting to read everyone's posts and thoughts on the matter. I can't say I have anything to offer on that front, but I do want to say that those Uaru you saved look FANTASTIC now - great job on treating that HITH and just otherwise making their life a lot more pleasant.

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
peathenster;4228865; said:
EDIT: just read your earlier post again. I don't think people are talking about common names for U. amphiacanthoides vs. U. fernandezyepezi here. It's the standard U. amphiacanthoides vs. what people calls U. "orange".
Okay, now I understand. I, like most others, thought he was asking about the species name, not a common name. I deffinately have never heard of 'orange uaru' as a common name for U. amphiacanthoides before in person or print in the last 20+ years. So naturally I assumed the question was refering to sp. 'orange.' This is why common names are annoying.

Since orange uaru is taken, what should the common name of sp. 'orange' be? Tangerine uaru?

DaveB

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Miami
darth pike;4227116; said:
OP - They are looking good, nice job saving and recovering them. Also, your jewel is so bright, when I was doing a quick scroll to reach the new posts, I thought you had a saltwater flame angelfish in with them!!
I miss Loretta. :( That jewel died after a long and awesome life about 3 months ago. I have never seen a jewel anywhere near that bright. That photo is not altered. (Part of it was the bulb, though, I think - it's the same one that made the fish in my avatar so super red - when it faded all my reds got a bit duller. I wish I knew what bulb it was.)

darth pike;4229181; said:
Okay, now I understand. I, like most others, thought he was asking about the species name, not a common name. I deffinately have never heard of 'orange uaru' as a common name for U. amphiacanthoides before in person or print in the last 20+ years. So naturally I assumed the question was refering to sp. 'orange.' This is why common names are annoying.

Since orange uaru is taken, what should the common name of sp. 'orange' be? Tangerine uaru?
My understanding has always been that orange is a rare variant of the regular Amphiacanthoides. Though not quite as rare anymore since that guy in CA got some spawns and started shipping them all over.

By the way, now that I am feeding more mine seem to be getting a mild orangish tint on their bellies already. Maybe I'm imagining things though.

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
Since it's called sp. orange, that generally denotes that it is thought to be a seperate species ... though of course, until some scientist takes a good look at it (and now a days, DNA most likely) we can't be sure. It's always good to err on the side of caution though to prevent hybrids.

Too bad about the jewel, deffinately an awesome individual.

DaveB

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Miami
True. I definitely agree that adding the Sp in changes it.

Here's a good shot I just took before feeding my group, shows a difference between a regular amphiacanthoides and the supposed oranges. The regular one is the largest one in the background of each pic.

You can also see my sickly eartheaters... only the remaining adult female has any color (2 spots in the first pic is her).

DSCN2453.JPG

DSCN2455.JPG

Danger_Chicken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2008
Baltimore
WOW that HITH recovery is amazing! I didn't Think it was possible to cure a case that bad in a month. What exactly did you do?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store